|
|||||||
| Register | Forum Rules | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read | Bookmark & Share ![]() |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Search this Thread | Display Modes |
|
|
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
I remember when Netscape came out and it was the best there was at the time. It was easy to use. I never had a problem with it. The MS started bundling IE with Windows and before anyone realized it Netscape was gone. I also remember the big uproar caused by MS when IE became a basically free program. The world was going to end, but obviously it hasn't.
There was a lot of hype around Vista when it came out. I had friends who jumped right on it and then started complaining about it. By the time I got Vista a lot of the problems had been fixed plus computers had advanced enough that Vista worked quite good. I used Vista until the computer I had broke down due to hardware failure. I think ME was a much worse version of Windows than was Vista. Harvard Graphics wasn't mentioned and I don't consider it a flop. I do wonder what happened to it as it was easy to use and had features that PowerPoint wouldn't have for many years. |
|
#2
|
|||
|
|||
|
I will see that list of flopped software and raise it by a muted meow from the widely panned CueCat!
The Wikipedia article is kind compared to the comments I remember in the day: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CueCat |
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
![]() The "nose" scanned the code. Never used it. We have it somewhere... probably in a box in the garage. "QR" codes and smartphones have made this obsolete. Besides it used a wire. Even in 2000 it was clear the next thing was to eliminate that. Never knew they invested $185 million in it.
|
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
I never used it, instead installing "Windows 2000" which was based on the more robust "Windows NT." It's funny that "XP" would come out shortly after in 2001 and be around for so many years. I know businesses that still rely on it. Harvard Graphics was awesome. The company was probably late in porting it to "Windows" in the 90's or people were just too easily satisfied with PowerPoint. I have found in Business, in general, it's hard to get away from the "Office" suite. That may change in the future. But do you remember the "Paper Clip"? Maybe one day the "digital assistant" will look like the "Real Doll" I configured in the "Dating" thread.
|
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
annoying paperclip all too well. Like BOB, it always popped up at the most inconvenient time and far too often. I was glad to see that paperclip finally disappear.
|
|
#6
|
|||
|
|||
|
Not everything is “in the cloud.” “Mainframe”? Remember those? They’re still around…
This was in my inbox this morning. From “eWeek”: Quote:
|
|
#7
|
|||
|
|||
|
This was in my Twitter feed this morning. Party like it's 1985! Fuck yeah.
Riiight. More like "gag me with a spoon." ![]() This is "Windows 1.01." If you used a PC back then, you either ran "DOS" by itself or "Windows" that acted as a shell providing a "user friendly" interface. That "game" is called "Reversi" and appeared on several later versions of windows well into the 90's. I used to be really good at it. How many remember playing it? I actually sort of like the colors. I think to get this color scheme you had to have an "EGA" card or else it would appear in B/W. Both at an "amazing" 640X480 pixel resolution. My current "desktop" back home uses a "4K" display.My first real interaction with Windows would not come until 1990 with the "much improved" Windows 3.0. By then, it was posible to get a "VGA" display and have resolutions up to 1024X768, still OK for some applications today. But most monitors of the time were only 14" or 15". NEC offered a 17" Multisync that I (with money earned from doing computer projects for other people) paid over $1,500 USD for in 1995. Think of what you could get today for that. When we moved out of our old offices last year our university's "IT" department had to call a "recycling" service to dispose of it safely. All monitors back then were "CRT" design. Think "Die Hard" where Bruce Willis uses a monitor strapped to a chair to detonate the explosive in the elevator scene. I'm sure my university would not have appreciated me tossing it down one of our elevators. Although the thought did cross my mind. ![]() Finally, my "favorite" Windows 3.0 theme. This was called "Flourescent" and what I used most of the time. There is also a bright red and yellow theme called "Hot Dog Stand" that still has fans today. I've seen versions for "Windows 10" even. Buy really, why would you want that? Last edited by a9127; 07-14-2019 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Added video from Die Hard. |
|
#8
|
|||
|
|||
|
In the earliest days of PC’s, long before YouTube, Twitter, and “Social Media” ever existed, everybody knew that personal computing technology wasn’t ever going to be used for anything “good.”
![]() ![]() “Astrotit” was a popular “shareware” PC game from 1987. Especially revealing of just how “primitive” graphics were back then is that each of these screenshots is 320x200 resolution, common for many monitors of the time. Compare it to the screen you’re currently using. Amazing isn’t it? Note the “Cyan Magenta White” color palette. Unless you owned an “EGA” graphics card, that was it. Until “VGA” became standard a few years later. Offering up to 1024x768 resolution and “unlimited” colors, VGA was the first to be able to show real pictures. Most of them dirty…
|
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
In 1992 I had a state of the art 14 inch monitor with a 640 x 480 resolution. My VGA card would display 16 colours.
|
![]() |
| Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
| Display Modes | |
|
|