Trans Ladyboy Forum

Go Back Trans Ladyboy Forum > General Discussion
Register Forum Rules Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Bookmark & Share

Old 10-02-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

johndowe is infamous around these partsjohndowe is infamous around these partsjohndowe is infamous around these partsjohndowe is infamous around these parts
Exclamation Bad ware and other computer nightmares to avoid.

Hi there.

I am a computer tech and i offer my services as suct for members, but in the cpu field there are some "bad apples" that spoil thing for all the rest of us who are respectful of others and use the internet responsibly.

I open this post to warn people about those bad apples and hopefully get them to see the light or get rid of them altogather.

Things like those who program viruses, they should try to use their skills in a more productive way.

MALWARE: What to do to prevent it and how to get rid of an infection.

Which cpu manufacturer are not supporting their customers properly etc.
Old 10-02-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

johndowe is infamous around these partsjohndowe is infamous around these partsjohndowe is infamous around these partsjohndowe is infamous around these parts

Hi there.

Did you ever get an alert on your computer saying you have a virus or spyware, and you run the program scans your cpu and shows a virus or spyware, and you click remove spyware and it sais $50.00 to remove spyware?

This is what i call: EXTORTION-WARE, they are correct you have a virus or spyware because THEY put it there, they are selling a virus/spyware protection program, but not a very good one and they are in effect trying to EXTORT $50.00 from you, they even disable your current antivirus software, leaving you vulnerable to more problems.

Unfortunately it is VERY hard to get rid of their program they make so many copies of the program and use every trick in the book to make sure you can't get rid of it so to make you pay the $50.00 extortion, the best way to get rid of such a program is usually to save your data and re-install windows with a good anti virus/spyware, and make sure you don't go back to the site you got infected, unfortunately, the program often waits 24 hours before activating, so it is almost impossible to know where you got it from, but one thing you MUST NEVER DO is pay them, NEVER EVER.

JohnDowe.

Last edited by johndowe; 10-02-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-02-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Hi there.

There are brand name computer companies that are "user hostile" and only support their customers for a short period of time and after that time ask you to pay for service.

I don't mean harware failures that do require you to pay for parts that have failled, but for downloading drivers for your machine when you have to re-install win or you u/g to a newer version fo win.

One such company is "GATEWAY" they make good cpu's but support, forget it, you need a serial # if you don't you get NOTHING.

The thing is the serial # is under the CPU and is easily damaged or removed, then you can't get any help from the company, also i had to reinstall win on one of their laptops, and the company that bought them had gone bancrupt and the laptop that i was fixing was one of them and since i wasn't the owner and i didn't knowe the ORIGINAL owner or purchaser i was denied the driver download that were required to get the cpu up and running at peak efficiency, i found the drivers from an alternate source but it was a pain in the ass.

And most people not in the cpu field would be left out in the cold, so to avoid such problems avoid "GATEWAY" computers.

JohnDowe.

Last edited by johndowe; 10-02-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Hi there.

Another big SCAM on the internet is DRIVERS.

Some people know that when you have a computer you sometimes have to update your drivers, but finding the proper driver isn't always easy, and they take advantage of that.

You search "drivers" on google and you see "free drivers" then just as you try to download (d/l) the driver they ask for $30.00, WTF a free driver for $30.00?

Well it is a SCAM, and most CPU boards require at least 4 drivers: Audio, Video, Network & Chipset, the later includes a few drivers for the hard disk controler, interupt manager etc, that your cpu needs to work more effectively, at $30 a pop it comes out to $120 which is often more than the main board is worth.

The important thing ro remember is YOU NEVER PAY FOR DRIVERS, and you go to the manufacturer of your cpu or the mainboard if it is a clone.

And don't forget the drivers for all your other cards also.

That is why you should have win installed by pros, they know how to do the job right (most of them, anyway).

JohnDowe.

Last edited by johndowe; 10-02-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2009
aw9725

Default Good Advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndowe View Post
Did you ever get an alert on your computer saying you have a virus or spyware, and you run the program scans your cpu and shows a virus or spyware, and you click remove spyware and it sais $50.00 to remove spyware?
One of my colleagues almost fell for this one a few days ago. Fortunately she asked me to take a look at her computer. I told her what I thought it was and then one of our University Computing Services techs basically reinstalled everything for her.

I've read some of your other posts. While not a "tech" myself, I work with computers all the time and know a thing or two. You have given some very good advice to people on this forum. I hope they realize it!

Andy
Old 10-02-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Hi there.

That's essentially and unfortunately the only solution.

And thanks for vote of confidence.

JohnDowe.
Old 10-03-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Hi there.

This is not as bad as the others but it does cause problems none the less.

Some people go on the internet and they see new programs and even if they already have a similar program, they d/l it and install it, often without needing or using it, and they continue to do this repeatedly, and then after a while they have problems, low memory, hard disk space, and slow cpu.

The thing is that everything you d/l and install takes up disk space.

And everything you install often adds programs that are loaded when win starts, so it uses memory and cpu time slowing your cpu.

Some also contain viruses and spyware or even EXTORTION WARE, and as such cause problems.

So before d/l'ing software, ask yourself, do i have a program like this? Does it do what i want? Is there something it doesn't do i would want it to do,? if it passes this "test", then you probably don't need it, and you shouldn't d/l it, if you aren't sure ask someone you know, but if you have a doubt, you should have your ansewer right there.

JohnDowe.
Old 10-03-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Hi there.

There is a bit of a problem in the cpu industry, not a really serious one but it can be anoying in the end.

Often people take their cpu to a cpu store because it doesn't run as quickly as it used to, and the "selesman" there asks questions about your cpu's specs, and then suggests a ram u/g.

The thing is most people in the cpu stores are salesmen and not techs, and they "try" to solve the problem by throwin money at it, which eventually will solve the problem, but at what price?

But there are many reasons your cpu might be running slower than it was, memory can be the problem, and the more memory the better, but it is far from being the only reason, if your hard disk is almost full it will slow the cpu down, if you have a virus or spyware again it will slow your cpu down, if your hade disk is "fragmented" it wil be slower, there are ways to regain some cpu speed without spending ANY money, and they should be used before going to the cpu store.

First and foremost: Cleaning your hard disk, removing temporary files, they are suposed to be temporary, but no one (programers) bother to delete them after they no longer need them (sloppy guys, sloppy (progremers)) and when you go onto the internet, internet browsers all save all the files (pics, html etc files) on your hard drive, as to load it faster the next time, it helps but not that much with hi speed internet, you should delete them regularily, all the files you d/l also use hard disk space so if the file you d/l'ed is not what you wanted and is not useful to you delete it, there is a program in "Start Menu-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools" called "Disk Cleanup" which will delete alot of the system's temporary files and make some more free space.

Removing programs you don't use or you don't use anymore, like games you went through and no longer play, they usually use up alot of space.

Then after that you DEFRAGMENT your hard drive, when you use your computer and make a lot of files and then delete some and so on, newer files are saved on the hard disk in a fragmented way, and it makes the hard disk work harder and slower, Defrag reads your hard disk and puts all the files togather in sequential order so the access is easier for the hard disk and thus faster, Defrag is found @ "Start Menu-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools" Defrag, the program will reorganise your files to not be fragmented but it will take a several hours to do, so i suggest you start the program before bed and let it run overnight and maby even throug the work day, with the monitor and other peripherals off, and when it is finished, see the speed difference.

If it is still slow, do a virus/spyware check, if there are viruses try to have them removed, but it is usually not that easy.

If you have done this and have (relatively) alot of free disk space, you may need the ram upgrade, but if you have an older cpu like a Pentium 3 it will always be slow compared to a P4 or newer cpu.

JohnDowe.
Old 10-04-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

DSL is on a distinguished road
Default bad apple

When i web search for some websites sometimes i get hit with an
( Adobe Reader license agreement popup window ) when i try to close it
it will install some nasty addware virus program that will take over your system and turn everything upside down! even when i click no on the
adobe reader it will install it any way and you can't get rid of it without
formatting your hard drive!. if you know a removal tool that can get rid of that bad apple without formatting my hard drive or anyone else.
i don't have the virus now but its out there and can be a pain in the ass.
thanks.

i also get a fake virus window saying that your system is under attack! and now scanning.

i do have McAfee security center too.
Old 10-04-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Excaliborg will become famous soon enoughExcaliborg will become famous soon enough

greetings. it sounds like you are being targeted with a spoof of an adobe license agrreement. if you could provide us with a screenshot or some details (what you are searching for, which links you are clicking) we will be able to determine the best course of action.

there has been an increase of fake anti-virus programs on the internet lately. again, if you can provide a name and details of the fake anit-virus program, we can help you to remove it.
Old 10-04-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Hi there.

This is NOT the place to post if you have some problems, you post in the "PC Problems? I am a PC TECH" thread, if it warrants to be placed here, i will, i want to use this post as a warning to all, but if there are too many general posts it will defeat the purpose.

Thank You.

JohnDowe.

Last edited by johndowe; 10-04-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-04-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

DSL is on a distinguished road

{ moved to pc tech thread }
Old 10-04-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Hi There.

Thank you for moving your post to the proper place.

JohnDowe.
Old 10-06-2009
Junior Ladyboy Lover

4inch is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm just a self taught computer guy. Have had problems in the past. My best defence is AVG antivirus, Spybot SD, the ctrl-alt-del keys and selecting end task of the browser if needed, and allways deleating all the history and cookies at the end of my online session......... Works well for me. Hope this helps......
Old 10-08-2009
Junior Ladyboy Lover

Softly64 is on a distinguished road
Default Excellent!

I'm new here and I'm real happy to see a thread like this!
I'll be reading this one often!
Gotta dash....but I'll be back with more feedback.
Thank you!
Old 10-15-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

twistedone has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I was recently a victim of "extortion ware". Though I didn't fall for the ploy of paying money to have it removed.

I don't keep a lot of things on my hard drive that are important or can't be easily reinstalled. The things I want to keep are placed on a memory stick, or flash drive.

I solved the problem by reformatting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw9725 View Post
One of my colleagues almost fell for this one a few days ago. Fortunately she asked me to take a look at her computer. I told her what I thought it was and then one of our University Computing Services techs basically reinstalled everything for her.

I've read some of your other posts. While not a "tech" myself, I work with computers all the time and know a thing or two. You have given some very good advice to people on this forum. I hope they realize it!

Andy
Old 10-25-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Hi there.

IF YOU WANT TO REPLY TO THIS, PLEASE REPLY IN MY "I'M A PC TECH" THREAD @ http://forum.transladyboy.com/showthread.php?t=6584

This one is not that bad, and i debated if i should post it, but in the end i think it is a good thing to warn people about products that are "hazadeous" to their data and their wallets.

I strongly discourage the purchasing and use of iPods and IPhones, WHY? because, everything you want to add you have to pay, pay, and pay again, all (cell) phones have FREE ring tones, but not the iPhone, and this is true for all IPhones and iPods, to load the iPhone & iPod with music you HAVE to use iTunes, and if you want to exchange music with another iPod or iPhone, iTunes deletes your current music and only leaves you with the music in the last connected "iThing", weather or not you paid for the said music.

There are many alternatives to the iPod and iPhone, so if you want a smart phone you can get a pocket PC, or a blackberry and there are many mp3 and mp4 players that won't erase your music on the assumption that you stole the music.

JohnDowe.
Old 11-03-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

sesame has a spectacular aura aboutsesame has a spectacular aura about
Smile No spyware malware or Virus!

For a good many years of Internet usage, I employed Norton, McAfee, and what not... but they all failed me. Every time after 4 or 6 months, my computer would be infected and I would have to Format the hard-drive to get rid of the pest problem! And then came the spywares, trojans and other e-vampires and hide in some corner of my machine and reproduce vigourously and wham! Another Formatting! My hard-drives would be grinded down layer by layer after each ordeal!

FINAL SOLUTION:
Now, for almost 4 years, I dont use any Antivirus or Anti-Spyware and still am free from any attacks. HOW?

All attacks come from the script level, binary script, ActiveX scripts. I simply turn them off in my browser. The machine has to ask me everytime it runs a script while surfing. When I'm in a safe site like this one which I know is free from malware, I press OK. When I'm in some new site I know nothing about, I cancel all script behavior. This turns off all animations and flash, but lets me read the web content.

In tube sites, like youtube, which are known to be safe, I allow scripts and enjoy the FLV movies! So, enjoy but dont let the monsters inside.
Old 11-09-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

merelypink is infamous around these partsmerelypink is infamous around these partsmerelypink is infamous around these partsmerelypink is infamous around these parts

avoid windows vista its the worst thing ever
Old 11-09-2009
Shecock obsessed

ila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by merelypink View Post
avoid windows vista its the worst thing ever
You are several years too late with that advice.
Old 09-10-2010
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ila View Post
You are several years too late with that advice.
Hi there.

Well Better late than never.

JohnDowe.