Trans Ladyboy Forum

Go Back Trans Ladyboy Forum > General Discussion
Register Forum Rules Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Bookmark & Share

Old 10-04-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

johndowe is infamous around these partsjohndowe is infamous around these partsjohndowe is infamous around these partsjohndowe is infamous around these parts

Hi there.

Don't forget to go see my "Bad ware and other computer nightmares to avoid" thread.

JohnDowe.
Old 10-04-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

DSL is on a distinguished road

Anyone know about virus attacts and how to stop them.?

When i web search for some websites sometimes i get hit with an
( Adobe Reader license agreement popup window ) when i try to close it
it will install some nasty addware virus program that will take over your system and turn everything upside down! even when i click no on the
adobe reader it will install it any way and you can't get rid of it without
formatting your hard drive!. if you know a removal tool that can get rid of that bad apple without formatting my hard drive or anyone else.
i don't have the virus now but its out there and can be a pain in the ass.
thanks.

i also get a fake virus window saying that your system is under attack! and now scanning.

i do have McAfee security center too.
Old 10-04-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

johndowe is infamous around these partsjohndowe is infamous around these partsjohndowe is infamous around these partsjohndowe is infamous around these parts

Hi there.

DSL, if you are trying to open a ".pdf" file you need Adobe's reader, and it IS freeware, and all web brousers are aware of this and will ask to install adobe reader in order for you to see the file, even if you already have an older version of adobe reader (aka Acrebat), so it is hard for me to know if it is an attack or just the brouser doing it's job.

So, could you tell me which site is it that you experienced this event, so that i may see for myself?

Also if it is detected as an attack, it may verry well be one, if you d/l and read ".pdf" files you do need adobe reader, you should get from adobe direct @ www.adobe.com it is freeware, but there is a licence agreement when you install it.

JohnDowe.
Old 10-04-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Its like opening one of those pdf links in google but i was searching
for adult shemale pics and movies and the pop ups from behind them which is
where i got it from i don't have it now but it does pop-ups from
time to time when i search the web in google but now everytime i see that i just
re-start my pc to clear it because my pc freezes also when that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndowe View Post
Hi there.

DSL, if you are trying to open a ".pdf" file you need Adobe's reader, and it IS freeware, and all web brousers are aware of this and will ask to install adobe reader in order for you to see the file, even if you already have an older version of adobe reader (aka Acrebat), so it is hard for me to know if it is an attack or just the brouser doing it's job.

So, could you tell me which site is it that you experienced this event, so that i may see for myself?

Also if it is detected as an attack, it may verry well be one, if you d/l and read ".pdf" files you do need adobe reader, you should get from adobe direct @ www.adobe.com it is freeware, but there is a licence agreement when you install it.

JohnDowe.

Last edited by DSL; 10-04-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-04-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Oh yeah a while back i did get a notice warning from my isp
because of that. they were detecting virus activity on my cable
modem and they had to upgrade my email security.
Old 10-25-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Hi there.

It's nice to see that all PC everywher are operating within normal operating parameners.

JohnDowe.
Old 11-03-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

TracyCoxx is infamous around these partsTracyCoxx is infamous around these partsTracyCoxx is infamous around these parts

Here's a PC problem...

When my PC boots up, it says:
Warning, your CPU fan failed or speed too low

I checked the settings, and the voltages were
Vcore voltage 1.27V (I've seen this reporting low before)
3.3V Voltage 3.34V
5V Voltage 5.05V
12V Voltage 12.08V

The CPU Fan speed warning was set to 800RPM, and the actual speed was 266RPM

The computer either boots up and is very slow, or programs don't run, or it doesn't come up at all.
Old 11-03-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyCoxx View Post
Here's a PC problem...

When my PC boots up, it says:
Warning, your CPU fan failed or speed too low

I checked the settings, and the voltages were
Vcore voltage 1.27V (I've seen this reporting low before)
3.3V Voltage 3.34V
5V Voltage 5.05V
12V Voltage 12.08V

The CPU Fan speed warning was set to 800RPM, and the actual speed was 266RPM

The computer either boots up and is very slow, or programs don't run, or it doesn't come up at all.
Hi there.

It seems that the bios is reporting correctly and the CPU is over heating, time to change the CPU Fan, it shouldn't cost more than $10-15, for a reg fan and $20-30 for a premium fan, + installation if needed, but you HAVE to have the RIGHT FAN, it is BETTER to have it done professionaly, because it is easy to break some of the fan/cpu tabs and the fan (with heat sink) will never fit again and if powered the cpu will SELF DESTRUCT, REALY.

JohnDowe.
Old 11-03-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

randolph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Slow

Hi John,
I had a new wireless router installed "Linksys". The loading of Firefox and Mail seems somewhat slower that it used to be. Is there something I can adjust to speed things up?
Randolph
Old 11-03-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

TracyCoxx is infamous around these partsTracyCoxx is infamous around these partsTracyCoxx is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Hi there.

It seems that the bios is reporting correctly and the CPU is over heating, time to change the CPU Fan, it shouldn't cost more than $10-15, for a reg fan and $20-30 for a premium fan, + installation if needed, but you HAVE to have the RIGHT FAN, it is BETTER to have it done professionaly, because it is easy to break some of the fan/cpu tabs and the fan (with heat sink) will never fit again and if powered the cpu will SELF DESTRUCT, REALY.

JohnDowe.
Ok thanks. I didn't know if I needed to replace the fan, or if there was a power supply problem and the CPU fan was underpowered because of that low Vcore voltage reading I saw.
Old 11-04-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyCoxx View Post
Ok thanks. I didn't know if I needed to replace the fan, or if there was a power supply problem and the CPU fan was underpowered because of that low Vcore voltage reading I saw.
Hi there.

The CPU Voltage varies from 1.2 to 1.5 Volts, depending on the CPU, if you tell me which cpu you have i can check what the proper voltage should be, but the 1.2 to 1.5V (approx is generated on the main board from either the 5V or the 3.3V of the Power Suply (PSU), but it's usually the 3.3V, if replacing the fan doesn't help you have to change your main board, if you have opened the case, check if the capacitor tops are flat or "bubbled" if they are there is a major problem with the main board, and has to be replaced and if the Voltage to the CPU was always LOW it should be fine.

The capacitors are the smallish cans that are spread throughout the main board and have a y type indent in the aluminium case top, they should be flat, but the Y is there to allow the pressure of the bad cap(acitor) to make it bubble to see that it is bad.

Also the fans do not work off of the cpu voltage, but the 5V or the 12V and those are fine.

JohnDowe.

Last edited by johndowe; 11-04-2009 at 05:29 AM.
Old 11-04-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolph View Post
Hi John,
I had a new wireless router installed "Linksys". The loading of Firefox and Mail seems somewhat slower that it used to be. Is there something I can adjust to speed things up?
Randolph
Hi there.

Do you mean loading the programs or downloading data from the internet?

I assume that you mean from the internet, it's the word "seems" that bothers me, but anyway, i'm sure you knlw that, there are many things that may make the internet "seem" slower or faster, like filesize, the files that are on the internet are getting bigger all the time and it can make your internet "seem" slower, that beeing said:

There are 2 wireless connection speeds 54Mb/s and 108Mb/s the first is most common and cheaper since it is older technology, but due to many factors your wireless connection may not connect at the maximum speed and thus the internet "seems" slower because it is.

To check this you right click on the wireless icon on the tray next to the clock and click status, make sure:

1- you are connected to the right network, some have slower internet than others, and may not have "password" (wep key) protected their internet and you may be using their internet, essentially getting free internet from them, which is unethical.

2- The signal strength is good; at least 2 or 3 green bars.

3- Look at the connection speed, it should be 54.0Mbps or 108Mbps if it is less you probably have interfearance of some kind, walls, people etc, or other wireless networks nearby and some wireless phones use frequencies that are close to wireless networks, and sometimes interfeer with the connection.

But the most important factor is that wired network connections work at 100Mbps without any interfearance while wireless work at 54Mbps and are more prone to interfearance.

Also linksys make good products, so the problem probably isn't in the hardware, but there are a lot of router setting that you can change but but do not make much difference in speed, but in security, and is your network "password" (wep key) protected? It should be otherwise others may use your internet and at the end of the month you may have a big surprize when you get your bill.

JohnDowe.
Old 11-04-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

randolph is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
Do you mean loading the programs or downloading data from the internet?

I assume that you mean from the internet, it's the word "seems" that bothers me, but anyway, i'm sure you knlw that, there are many things that may make the internet "seem" slower or faster, like filesize, the files that are on the internet are getting bigger all the time and it can make your internet "seem" slower, that beeing said:
Hi John,
Thanks for the analysis. Actually, the internet is working well, its the computer that's taking longer to load programs like Firefox and Windows mail. they used to load almost instantly, now they take several seconds to load. It's not a big deal but I would like them to work faster.
Old 11-04-2009
Apprentice Ladyboy Lover

alphanumeric is on a distinguished road

Okay then here is my problem, a few months ago I bought an HP desktop (Model m9405f) i bought it refurbished. It was a pretty good deal I got a $1600.00 system for around $800.00 Now A few months ago, the system would just randomly crash. I hadn't created the system restore disks, but I thought well I'll just perform a system restore and then I'll make the system restore disks.

So anyways, I perform a system restore, and when my system restarts I get a "Code Purple" In essence what it is is a tiny bit of code HP sticks in the start-up to check against a tattoo to the EEPROM chip on the motherboard.

Now I have done no modifications to the computer, but they may have when refurbishing it at the store I bought it from.

I was simply going to wait until windows seven came out and simply put the new OS on my system, but my financial situation is not the same as when the problem occurred. I read that you could remove the hard drive and install it into another computer and edit the problem there. But I attempted that yesterday only to discover that HP rivets 90% of there computers together so getting to the hard drive is virtually impossible without permanently disassembling the case.

So my question to you is this:

Could I get a burn a linux DVD and run it in the CD drive and THEN access the files I would need to delete or modify to get my system up and running?

The reason I am sticking with windows is my desktop is used primarily for gaming. and trying to run windows games in linux is a pain I don't want to get involved in.

Also let this be a lesson to everyone else! DON"T buy HP. in fact build your own system. That's what I'm definitely doing next time.
Old 11-04-2009
Apprentice Ladyboy Lover

vaje has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Boot your machine from some Cd or DVD. (it could be RIPLinux or BartPe live cd)
Locate this file: "c:\hp\bin\configcheck\run.py" and rename it to run.p_ this solves your problem.
Sometimes resetting the CMOS helps too.

Good luck!
Old 11-04-2009
Apprentice Ladyboy Lover

vaje has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Oh, yes, and don't buy brand computers next time. Build your own...
Old 11-04-2009
Apprentice Ladyboy Lover

alphanumeric is on a distinguished road

Okay, quick update, I went to the hp site and found out how to remove the hard drive cage and took apart my external hard drive, used the connector to hook up to the HP hard drive and erased the two files causing the problems.

So now my main gaming rig is once again back up and running.

So now I can put off getting windows 7 for a little while longer Yay!
Old 11-05-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolph View Post
Hi John,
Thanks for the analysis. Actually, the internet is working well, its the computer that's taking longer to load programs like Firefox and Windows mail. they used to load almost instantly, now they take several seconds to load. It's not a big deal but I would like them to work faster.
Hi there.

The reason it takes longer is because the internet programs check for an internet connection and with wireless it takes a bit longer.

JohnDowe.
Old 11-05-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Hi there.

Factory built CPU's are made to do pretty much everything but the manufacturer also wants to make a GOOD profit with the machine, and offers what they think the consumer needs, or want them to "need".

Those CPU's are Jacks of all trades, but master of none, and the noname brands kinda follow the same trend, but as Excaliborg said;you always get what you pay for, and i often say; the "clones" are both the best and the worst computers, depending on the price and the "reputation" of the builder.

If you decide to build your own CPU you have to know at least a bit about the inner workings of a computer, it definately shuldn't be your first computer, unless you are an electronic tech and know what you are doing.

But it isn't that hard, but if you do it to save money, you will probably miss your mark, because once you start researching the parts that you need, you will want better parts and those are more expensive, but your computer will be better built in return, also computer stores buy "OEM" parts, which are "mostly" the same as store bought "box" models but with some minor but important differences, first the software you get with the "box" version is usually more extensive, and the all important warranty is much longer on the "box" version and they cost more, that and the fact that the reseller buys his components from a wholesaler and in quantity he gets a better price, and another way they save money is to put in less; smaller slower hard drives, less slower memory, etc, when you build your own CPU you probably won't do that, why? Because it isn't in your best interest, if you put in less ram, or a smaller hard drive, you will have to upgrade sooner instead of later, so saving a buck shouldn't be an issue, you will get out what you put in.

As an example you put in a brand name video card and a more expensive one, you may end up with a computer that you can watch TV on and watch your computer on your big screen TV, not something most brand name computers can do.

Also, the assembly of a computer is almost fool proof, most connectors canot be plugged incorectly, and most require very little force to connect, if you would need to force something, it means you are not doing it right, look at both parts and you will see how they are supposed to "mate", the only connectors you have to apply some force to are the POWER connectors that require a good SOLID connection and you easily slide them in about half way, and then you apply a bit more force, but only if they did go in half way in, the only other exeption is ram it goes in half the way, make sure the notch(es) match and when they are alligned you push it in until the little arms on each side snap onto the small ram board.

And you only need 1 medium phillips (cross) screwdriver to build the whole thing.

And something i CANOT over stress: READ THE MANUALS THAT COME WITH THE COMPONENTS, EVEN IF YOU KNOW WHAT THEY DO AND HOW THEY WORK, YOU MAY STILL LEARN SOMETHING!

And one thing that can kill your computer is static electricity, if you are prone to it, ground yourself before you touch any of the electronics

A good well built CPU should cost you at $1500 - $2500, but can cost much more if you go over"board".

JohnDowe.
Old 11-05-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

sesame has a spectacular aura aboutsesame has a spectacular aura about
Smile

I always buy assembled computers and never branded ones.
I choose special parts suitable to my needs and assemble them with the help of an assembler. One side of my computer cabinet is always open for better air circulation or if I need to tamper with the RAM or HDD, etc. My machines run smoothly.
Old 11-17-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Kakariko is just really niceKakariko is just really niceKakariko is just really niceKakariko is just really niceKakariko is just really nice

I have an internet router, with 3 users plugged into it (including myself). Another user is almost constantly downloading, making things slower for everyone else. Also, I'm from Australia, where every ISP has download limits. I was wondering if there was a way to slow the speeds down through just one port of the router and if it's possible to have internet stop working on one port, once that user reaches a set download limit per day.

Whether this can be done or not, I'd like to say thanks all the same
Old 11-17-2009
Apprentice Ladyboy Lover

Steve747 is on a distinguished road

Hi

What you can do obviously depends on the services offered by the Router you have. Many modern routers offer a feature called QoS (Quality of Service). This allows you to set the different priorities for traffic from different applications, ports or MAC addresses (physical devices).

Obviously to be able to do this you will need to know the address, and administrator name and password for the router.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 11-18-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Kakariko is just really niceKakariko is just really niceKakariko is just really niceKakariko is just really niceKakariko is just really nice

I know the address, administrator name and password. At the main page display, I get this:

Click image to open a larger version of router.JPG. Views: 4.

(Billion is the name/brand of the router). Unsure of where to go from here...
Old 11-19-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

twistedone has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Performance question:

I have a home built PC. I'd like to increase its performance with hardware upgrades.

My system has.

Asus M3A78-CM motherboard
AM2, 3GHZ processor (dual core)
4 gigs, DDR 800 memory. (I could add more, but would need a 64bit operating system to utilize it)
Nvidia BFG 9800 video card, PCI Express 2.

BIOS, is set to automatically overclock the processor. It is capable of doing so with this motherboard.

My question is: Would I see much of an increase in performance and speed if I upgraded to a quad core processor? The current motherboard is capable of handling it. I run a lot of games on it.

Last edited by twistedone; 11-19-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-20-2009
Apprentice Ladyboy Lover

Hi Kakario

Sorry about the delay in replying. I am afraid I have used up my download limit today so i cant read your screenshot. Send me an email with the model number and I will reply with instructions. The mail link for this forum is on the top right-hand corner of the page.

Steve
Old 11-20-2009
Apprentice Ladyboy Lover

Hi Twistedone

I did a lot of work on performance optimisation. Before trying to improve the performance of a system it is necessary to decide what you are trying to improve and do a lot of investigation to find out where your current performance bottlenecks are.

Are you trying to improve the frame rate on running one or more games? Then the bottleneck is likely to be the performance of the graphics card and bandwith of the bus between the graphics card and the processor.

If you are not maxing out your current two cores on whatever you are running now, adding another two cores isn't going to provide any improvement. Try measuring the processor utilisation while pushing your rig hard.

More details on what you are trying to achieve would also help.

Steve
Old 09-10-2010
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakariko View Post
I have an internet router, with 3 users plugged into it (including myself). Another user is almost constantly downloading, making things slower for everyone else. Also, I'm from Australia, where every ISP has download limits. I was wondering if there was a way to slow the speeds down through just one port of the router and if it's possible to have internet stop working on one port, once that user reaches a set download limit per day.

Whether this can be done or not, I'd like to say thanks all the same
Hi there.

I was away for a good while but i'm back, don't know for how long though.

Yes there are ways to limit lockout users of networks, weather it is within windows or better yet the router itself, but, it is sometimes quite involved.

But before doing that, who's paying for the internet and the router? And you REALY should talk the the guy before tampering with the hardware, if you haven't already, because if you do tamper with the hardware and limit his internet incustions he may take it personally.

JohnDowe.
Old 09-10-2010
Senior Ladyboy Lover

sailove has much to be proud ofsailove has much to be proud ofsailove has much to be proud ofsailove has much to be proud ofsailove has much to be proud ofsailove has much to be proud ofsailove has much to be proud ofsailove has much to be proud ofsailove has much to be proud of

For the most part my computer works well, but every once and a while I get online and the sites I go to won't download they say waiting for numbers of items to download and they never do has this have something to do with my virtual memory and if so how do I correct it ?

Last edited by sailove; 09-10-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-11-2010
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailove View Post
For the most part my computer works well, but every once and a while I get online and the sites I go to won't download they say waiting for numbers of items to download and they never do has this have something to do with my virtual memory and if so how do I correct it ?
HI there.

You don't give me much to go on, so i'll give you a generic ansewer.

MOST of the time when a web page fails to load completely it's the web site's host that can't fill the demand and a time out occurs and the page doesn't download completely, there isn't much you can do since the problem isn't on your end but at the other end, all you can do is to refresh the page it sometimes works, or try later, also the problem can be poor site maintenance, and there too there isn't much to be done since again the problem is at the other end.

JohnDowe.
Old 09-12-2010
Senior Ladyboy Lover

no1000 is on a distinguished road

You are a life saver! Ok how do i reformat my computer if I don't have my windows xp cd? The computer currently has windows vista but I like xp better. Anyway I can download it?

also...

any spyware/malware/virus remover I can download for free???
Old 09-12-2010
Shecock obsessed

ila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1000 View Post
also...

You can try Spybot S&D and C Cleaner. You will have to do a search to get the proper spelling for the sites. You should also know that MacAfee (sic) and Norton don't like to run on the same computer as Spybot. Friends that have used Spybot and C Cleaner tell me that they are quite satisfied with both products and would never consider MacAfee or Norton again.
Old 09-12-2010
Senior Ladyboy Lover

smc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to smc

Of course, you can all switch to Apple computers and not have ANY of these problems!
Old 09-12-2010
Senior Ladyboy Lover

no1000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post
Of course, you can all switch to Apple computers and not have ANY of these problems!

true, but I'm not about to shell out $2000 for a computer and plus I love my video games.
Old 09-12-2010
Senior Ladyboy Lover

smc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
true, but I'm not about to shell out $2000 for a computer and plus I love my video games.
Once you grasp the concept of time as money, you will see things differently with respect to the price of an Apple computer. I do not want to turn this thread into a Mac vs. PC debate, though, so I will leave it at that.

As for games, well ... as someone who could not care less about computer games, I cannot relate to that issue.
Old 09-13-2010
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Hi there.

You are opening a can of worms here my freind.

On average most computer users don't have many CPU problems PC or MAC, but once in a while you do, be it hardware or software, NO COMPUTER IS IMMUNE TO PROBLEMS, if you don't have any problems with your mac, good for you, even if i don't do macs, I DO KNOW THAT THEY DO FUCK UP OCCASIONNALLY, but the problem with the PC is not the PC hardware it's Microsoft, which does a realy crappy job with their OS (windows) it looks good, but it chokes the life out your CPU, BUT it runs all the APPS & GAMES that we all want and as such, it is a "necessary" evil, if there were another OS that would run all the apps and games i have etc. i would switch in an heartbead and i would recomend it to everybody, but it isn't the MAC.

Also one thing that makes a big difference is the tech that built/fixxed your system, as in most feilds there are good techs and bad ones, if you have a bad one you will have more problems than if you had a good one MAC or PC.

JohnDowe.
Old 09-13-2010
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Hi there.

COMPUTER VIRUSES...

Well, there are alot of software that claim to remove viruses, but few actually do a good job, what you need is to have good protection from the start and you won't have to remove the viruses, spyware or extortionware.

The best way to get rid of any infection is to re-install your OS from scratch, but it may not always be eady, some people have staggering amounts of info on their CPU's and they canot afford to it and would need 10+ DVD's to do a backup (but anybody that has lots of info or valuable info should aways do backups because CPU's aren't perfect and as such are prone to many kinds of failures that can make your info unusable) ading a second hard disk and the price of the re installing of windows or mac os can cost you up to $200, is your info worth it? Often the $100 hard disk contains info that is worht much more than that, if it fails you are out of luck UNLESS you had a (recent) backup.

Personally, i looked for virus removal tools for a long time and i never found one that lived up to their hype, they did remove the virus but it came back a short while later, so the virus wasn't completely removed, other times the virus remover did more damage than the virus it was supposed to remove so i stopped looking and i suggest to backup your CRUCIAL info and reinstall your OS, that way you restart with a clean slate, and with a better anti-virus.

JohnDowe.
Old 09-13-2010
Communicator

Mel Asher is infamous around these partsMel Asher is infamous around these parts
Default dll problem

Quote:
Hi there.

By this time most of you have probably seen me, either as a joker or very serious.

This said, in my professionnal life i am a PC (ONLY) technician, one of the best i know, and i do know quite a few, i specialize in hardware problems i can do software problems too.

VERY IMPORTANT, I WILL NOT ANSEWER PASSWORD BYPASS QUESTIONS, and other hacking posts.

Also, you should read the next few posts they conatain alot of usefull info.

JohnDowe.

JD -

I appear to have lost or corrupted my DCIMAN32.dll on my Desktop computer, and cannot access the Internet through any shortcut, although I can log onto Internet Explorer. I am on Windows XP, but have lost the original disk that I used to set up XP originally with.

Any ideas or suggestions I can use ?

Appreciate
Old 09-13-2010
aw9725

Other than being known on this forum for fast vehicles and my infatuation with Kelly Shore, I was Director of Academic Computing at my university for five years and also chaired the Instructional Technology Committee--so I know a little something about computers as well?

Without debating the merits of a ?Mac? or ?PC? and also in an attempt to keep this post relatively short, my own view is that a ?computer is a computer.? Inside they all work alike--everything is in binary. From our perspective however, there are certain applications that you want to run and you buy the appropriate hardware and software to support them. In some cases, the Mac is the clear winner. Most of my colleagues in the liberal arts and sciences use them and love them--I have owned several Mac?s myself. On our campus, we have Mac?s in the Writing Center, the Education Lab, and in the Art Department. Many of the applications used (particularly in Art) can only be found for the Mac.

In the School of Business, where I reside as a faculty member, we have several PC labs. Business has historically used PC?s. The answer ?why? could be very long--to keep it short, suffice to say that IBM specifically targeted business starting way back in the 1960?s and 70?s with mainframes and ?data processing? applications (payroll, inventory, finance, etc.). That trend continued in the early 1980?s when IBM introduced the first PC (Homework Assignment: look up the ?IBM 360? and the ?1981 PC?). At that time, a young entrepreneur named Bill Gates had just won a contract from IBM to provide an ?operating system? for the PC. For whatever reasons, and there are many, businesses in general have been slow to adopt alternatives to the PC. For one, IBM?s customer support was legendary. A ?young upstart company? like Apple, was not likely to make inroads into this corporate market--however superior their product.

Individuals however, were free to make their own choices and many users in ?non business? fields gravitated to the Apple. Especially the Mac. With its user-friendly interface, stable OS, multitude of applications, and ease of networking it was a great choice. It also had, from the start, the aura of being ?cooler? than the PC and appealed to many for this reason (Homework Assignment: go to YouTube and find the ?1984? video that introduced the Mac during the Super Bowl). However the world of business stuck with the PC through the 80?s and 90?s. One possible reason that is often cited is that by the 1980?s, computers had become a ?commodity.? That is, it was essential to the bottom line to get the ?cheapest? technology and in the ?largest quantity.? Also, ?IT? support staffs knew the PC. With so much invested most businesses were not about to take a chance on something like a Mac.

As for the issue of stability? Any computer connected to the Internet can be a target. There are far more ?hackers? who have aimed their attacks at the PC than Mac. I am familiar with some of these groups--many consider themselves to be similar to ?freedom fighters? at war against the giant capitalist beast Microsoft. Sheer numbers alone, make the PC more vulnerable. There is also the issue of Operating System stability. From the beginning, Apple had a well designed ?OS? that was based on Unix. This is the ?core? of the Mac if you will. Apple also took a ?closed? approach to hardware and software development. Steve Jobs continues this trend today with the iPhone and iPad (Homework Assignment: read about Steve Jobs and Bill Gates or watch the movie ?Pirates of Silicon Valley"). IBM, with its choice of ?DOS? and on ?open? approach to developers may have committed the ?original sin? that has been perpetuated through countless versions of DOS and Windows. What was needed in my opinion, was a ?clean break? from Windows about 20 years ago. John Dowe is correct in saying that it is the ?OS? that is to blame for most of our trouble.

So which one is ?better?? That depends? and what?s more, you are all right! Speaking for myself, I almost have to rely on PC?s for what we do in the School of Business--most of the software won?t run on a Mac. Microsoft Office is available for the Mac but not Access. As far as the features, functionality, and stability, I prefer the Mac OS over Windows--no contest. In my life and career I have used SO MUCH technology that I really don?t give it much thought anymore. A few years ago, I used to be in charge of the entire ?IT? budget for our university--in my role, I would always let users decide what they wanted--so long as they could justify how it would be used for instruction. Over the years, other than for ?Business,? I have probably bought more Macs than anything else.
Old 09-13-2010
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
... I do not want to turn this thread into a Mac vs. PC debate, though, so I will leave it at that. ...
Apparently, what I wrote and quote from myself went unheeded. Sorry to have opened up a "can of worms" that is so much more complex than technical matters (cf. Microsoft and how it has functioned in the world of technology).

Again, I will leave it at that, and hope the thread can get back to PC problem-solving.
Old 09-14-2010
Senior Ladyboy Lover

sailove has much to be proud ofsailove has much to be proud ofsailove has much to be proud ofsailove has much to be proud ofsailove has much to be proud ofsailove has much to be proud ofsailove has much to be proud ofsailove has much to be proud ofsailove has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replie, I have another question I would like to ask. A while ago I got a virus. My antiviral software did nothing to help. (Nortons) The only solution I found was to reload windows xp, the old copy is still on my computer taking up space on my hard drive. When I start my computer I have a choice of 2 different installations of windows.I guess my question is: is there any easy way to delete this extra copy of windows or any easy way to wipe everything off my hard drive and just reload 1 copy of windows ? I still have my original disc with product code. Your help would be appreciated.
Quote:
HI there.

You don't give me much to go on, so i'll give you a generic ansewer.

MOST of the time when a web page fails to load completely it's the web site's host that can't fill the demand and a time out occurs and the page doesn't download completely, there isn't much you can do since the problem isn't on your end but at the other end, all you can do is to refresh the page it sometimes works, or try later, also the problem can be poor site maintenance, and there too there isn't much to be done since again the problem is at the other end.

JohnDowe.
Old 09-14-2010
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Asher View Post
JD -

I appear to have lost or corrupted my DCIMAN32.dll on my Desktop computer, and cannot access the Internet through any shortcut, although I can log onto Internet Explorer. I am on Windows XP, but have lost the original disk that I used to set up XP originally with.

Any ideas or suggestions I can use ?

Appreciate
Hi there.

If it is indeed the DCIMAN32.dll that is damaged, you would need your XP CD you could use another XP CD but if it is a different version, it may do more harm than good, over the internet like this it is much harder to properly diagnose a problem than if i had the CPU on hand, at least you are lucky your CPU works you can do a back-up and then re-install win, i would strongly sugess a QUALIFIED tech to do it though.

JohnDowe.
Old 09-15-2010
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailove View Post
Thanks for the replie, I have another question I would like to ask. A while ago I got a virus. My antiviral software did nothing to help. (Nortons) The only solution I found was to reload windows xp, the old copy is still on my computer taking up space on my hard drive. When I start my computer I have a choice of 2 different installations of windows.I guess my question is: is there any easy way to delete this extra copy of windows or any easy way to wipe everything off my hard drive and just reload 1 copy of windows ? I still have my original disc with product code. Your help would be appreciated.
Hi there.

Any anti-virus will stop older well known viruses, but not all anti-viruses are kept up to date to stop the newest viruses.

How the intivirus works, is first it checks for older viruses in it's database, then ith checks the "behavior" of the programs, and if it does something it deems not "cosher" then it stops the process and flags it, but the line between well behaved programs and viruses is not all that well defined so some viruses may defeat this and infect your CPU.

This beeing said, when you installed the second copy of win you made a little mistake, you had to delete the partitions and re partition the drive with only one copy of win, but what is done is done.

Trying to erase the first copy of win can be problematic, Microsoft in it's infinite wisdom (ah ah ah) has probably used some of the files from the first win in the second one also it has a virus, so to be safe i would do a back-up of your most important files check 2 -3 more times to be sure and wipe everything and start from scratch with a reformated re installed win XP.

I am thining if i shouldn't do a post on installing win in detail and with all or most of the software you need to get up an running without having to allways look for programs you used to have or you should have...

JohnDowe.
Old 09-15-2010
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
You are a life saver! Ok how do i reformat my computer if I don't have my windows xp cd? The computer currently has windows vista but I like xp better. Anyway I can download it?

also...

Hi there.

You know the old saying, you get what you pay for?

Well there you go with the free anti-viruses.

But about your CPU, if it came with vista, there may not be any XP drivers, so without the proper XP drivers you could do basic computer functions like most of the programs that come with win, but if you want to play music, videos, games and other more complex software you WILL need proper XP drivers, otherwise forget XP, try 7 instead, it is much better than vista.

JohnDowe.
Old 09-15-2010
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Default Good Idea

Once again, thanks for your reply, and I like your idea of a post to install windows, but my problem is not in the installtion but in wipeing my computer clean and starting again I don't mind looking for and reinstalling programs I use (except for sound drivers, that can be a bitch) it gives me something to do besides viewing porn LOL. I guess my question is : Is there any good resource material(book) that will give me detailed info (on wipeing my comp clean for a new start) that you can refer me to ? Thanks again
Quote:
Hi there.

Any anti-virus will stop older well known viruses, but not all anti-viruses are kept up to date to stop the newest viruses.

How the intivirus works, is first it checks for older viruses in it's database, then ith checks the "behavior" of the programs, and if it does something it deems not "cosher" then it stops the process and flags it, but the line between well behaved programs and viruses is not all that well defined so some viruses may defeat this and infect your CPU.

This beeing said, when you installed the second copy of win you made a little mistake, you had to delete the partitions and re partition the drive with only one copy of win, but what is done is done.

Trying to erase the first copy of win can be problematic, Microsoft in it's infinite wisdom (ah ah ah) has probably used some of the files from the first win in the second one also it has a virus, so to be safe i would do a back-up of your most important files check 2 -3 more times to be sure and wipe everything and start from scratch with a reformated re installed win XP.

I am thining if i shouldn't do a post on installing win in detail and with all or most of the software you need to get up an running without having to allways look for programs you used to have or you should have...

JohnDowe.
Old 09-17-2010
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Hi there.

Wiping everything is VERY easy, when you go through the process of starting to install windows, and you are at the select destimation disk drive for installation, you read and select the "c:" particion and you enter d to delete it, win will ask you to confirm and you do so (with all the partisions), and then you select the unpartitionned space (the whole disk) and you do a FULL format, it takes longe but it erases everything and it rewrites the whole disk in effect doing a good job of checking it, and you follow the rest of the win installation.

DRIVERS...

Drivers aren't a bitch to find as you seem to think, unless of course the manufacturer of your PC's main board is out of business.

Brand Name PC's: Ex: DELL Optiplex GX280.

You go on to the internet to www.dell.com and look on the page for "support or driver download".

Then you enter the model name & Number; Optiplex GX280

Then the OS Win XP

and you D/L the Audio, Video (not Monitor), Chipset, Lan, if you have a modem and other interfaces you will need to D/L them too.

Then you install them one at a time and reatart as they require.

JohnDowe.
Old 09-17-2010
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Thanks once again for your reply, I'm going to try it tommorow, so if you don't hear from me it didn't go well. LOL
Quote:
Hi there.

Wiping everything is VERY easy, when you go through the process of starting to install windows, and you are at the select destimation disk drive for installation, you read and select the "c:" particion and you enter d to delete it, win will ask you to confirm and you do so (with all the partisions), and then you select the unpartitionned space (the whole disk) and you do a FULL format, it takes longe but it erases everything and it rewrites the whole disk in effect doing a good job of checking it, and you follow the rest of the win installation.

DRIVERS...

Drivers aren't a bitch to find as you seem to think, unless of course the manufacturer of your PC's main board is out of business.

Brand Name PC's: Ex: DELL Optiplex GX280.

You go on to the internet to www.dell.com and look on the page for "support or driver download".

Then you enter the model name & Number; Optiplex GX280

Then the OS Win XP

and you D/L the Audio, Video (not Monitor), Chipset, Lan, if you have a modem and other interfaces you will need to D/L them too.

Then you install them one at a time and reatart as they require.

JohnDowe.
Old 09-17-2010
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Hi there.

Sorry, i wanted to include this part to my previous post but i spaced it.

If your CPU is a clone the startup screen may identify what brand and board number if you are lucky, otherwise you may have to open the case (you only need a medium phillips + screwdriver) and look for the p/n, many are like this:

P4PE

or

P5S2-ATI Rev1.1

Then you go to the manufacturer's web site ex "asus" @ www.asus.com and fund the driver d/l page enter your bord # and OS and download all the drivers and install them.

Then do the same for all the other cards that are in the CPU A flashlight might be usefull.

JohnDowe.

Last edited by johndowe; 09-17-2010 at 11:46 PM.