Trans Ladyboy Forum

Go Back Trans Ladyboy Forum > General Discussion
Register Forum Rules Members List Today's Posts Bookmark & Share

Live TS Webcams *NEW*

Old 01-16-2019
Senior Ladyboy Lover

a9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud of
Default Old PC Technology

Many of us have worked in "IT" or a related field. All of us at one time or another have been affected for better or for worse by the "offerings" from Microsoft, Apple, Cisco, Motorola, etc. or the many PC manufacturers who have come and gone through the years. Thought it might be fun and different to share experiences with some of the earliest technology that you have used. Feel free to post anything--good or bad...

I got my start with computers long before I was ever in school by helping my dad with reports and calculations for his work (Sales Executive for GM). He had a "T1" line and if I was "good" I was allowed to spend time on it. It turned out to be good experience for what I do today. One of my earliest memories is using '"Lotus 1-2-3". Perhaps the "granddaddy" of all PC-based business applications. The first version I remember ran under "DOS" and used the "CGA" graphics color scheme.

(Note to younger members... The "82" on the chart refers to "1982.")
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lotus123.jpg (81.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg lotus123-msdos.jpg (169.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg graph.jpg (344.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by a9127; 01-16-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-16-2019
Shecock obsessed

ila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond repute

The first computer I used was a Commodore 64. It had two 5-1/4" floppy drives. One ran the program in use and the other was used for saving files. The monitor was a portable tv. I only used a very basic word processor, but I thought it was just the greatest thing ever and much more fun to use than a typewriter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Commodore-64-Computer-FL.jpg (120.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: gif C64_startup_animiert.gif (1.6 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by ila; 01-16-2019 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Made a correction and added photos
Old 01-17-2019
Senior Ladyboy Lover

a9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud of

In my office, I have an antique IBM PC/AT motherboard, 20MB Hard Drive, Paradise "EGA" card, and 1.2Mb floppy drive from my first "real" computer that was passed onto me by my Dad way back when... The "AT" used an Intel "286"processor running at a blazing 8Mhz. We added the "287" math co-processor and extra memory through an "Above Board." DOS's limit was 640K but Lotus 1-2-3 could taake advantage of it. The Hard Drive has been disassembled and has the date "1985" stamped on it. I'm going in later today, I'll take some pics. Why I kept it I'll never know. The computer is almost as old as I am... My students are amazed that that they had computers back then.

By the way, ila's "Commodore 64" with real floppies was quite advanced for it's time. My very first computer was a "Vic-20" with cassette drive my mom found on sale at K-Mart. One Christmas I got a "Microcomputer Trainer" from Radio-Shack that taught "assembly language." So that's how a career was born.

My Dad had a Compaq DeskPro 386 (about $10,000 back then) and a "T1" line paid for by General Motors. I used to help him with stuff before I was even in school. If I was "good" I was allowed to use it for fun. Not that there was much to do then (alt.binaries.erotica). The "T1" was a digital phone line and would be like the 80's and 90's "high speed Internet." They are still around.

God I feel old that I even remember what all this stuff was.

Last edited by a9127; 01-17-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-17-2019
Shecock obsessed

ila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond repute

In the early '90s I was moving into a job that involved a lot of work on computers. My Commodore knowledge wasn't enough to get by in my new position. I was advised to take some courses to get me up to speed so I went on a course that was conducted on weekends only. For a long time I thought that the computers we used on the course were Atari, but I'm not so sure anymore.

The course taught DOS, a pretty basic word processor, Lotus 1-2-3, and db III+. I really hated db III+ as it was the most awkward program to be able to do anything.
Old 01-17-2019
Senior Ladyboy Lover

These antiques should bring back memories both good and bad...

IBM "AT" motherboard. This "monster" had an Intel 286 processor running at 8mhz. Considered "blazing fast." For 1984...

Paradise "EGA" graphics card. An "upgrade" from the awful Cyan Magenta White palette of "CGA" this standard allowed 16 colors at a time (if memory serves me) from a total of 64. Enough to show "dirty pictures." Well almost...

IBM thought a "High Capacity" 5 1/4" floppy would be enough for the future. They were wrong... The date of manufacture? May, 1985.

Computer Science textbook from 1969. This was given to me by a professor who retired the year I first started teaching. It means a lot to me and occupies a special place on my bookshelf. Interestingly, the algorithms, data storage concepts, and system design principles are still valid 50 yeas later.

Anyone know what this is? There was a time that everyone had to access the Internet through a "Dial Up" connection. If you know what "RS-232" is you get an "A". Class dismissed...

How about these? Know what they are used for? No, of course not. Everything is wireless now. The date on the case says "June 2001."

Last edited by a9127; 10-26-2020 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-17-2019
Shecock obsessed

It looks like I get an A. Make that an A+ as I not only know what an RS-232 cable is, but I used them and repaired them.

I know the tools in the tool case quite well as I've used them for work and not just at home for my own purposes.

To go back a really long ways (for the computer age) I remember when base 2 arithmetic was introduced in the primary grades at school. We were told it was because we were now in the space age and not the iron age. At the time no one (teachers and pupils) knew that the arithmetic was to be the basis on which we were to learn all about computers and computing. Of course at the time computers weighed a few tons, occupied complete rooms, and were only used by big corporations and utility companies.
Old 01-20-2019
Senior Ladyboy Lover

liesjeversteven is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ila View Post
The first computer I used was a Commodore 64. It had two 5-1/4" floppy drives. One ran the program in use and the other was used for saving files. The monitor was a portable tv. I only used a very basic word processor, but I thought it was just the greatest thing ever and much more fun to use than a typewriter.
My first computer was also a c64, but with a tape drive still...
Old 01-20-2019
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by liesjeversteven View Post
You and ila both have me beat. My "first" was just a lowly "Vic-20" hooked up to an old color TV via an adapter that attached to the antenna. Like you, I had the "tape drive." I am jealous of ila that he had an actual disk drive.

Did either of you have the "VIC-Modem"?

The "oldest" computer I have ever used was a "NorthStar" running "CP/M." Its case was made of wood (Hehe..hehe...hehe he said "wood"). It belonged to one of my professors in grad school. He said he bought it in 1979. It was still running after all those years! He let me try using "WordStar." I wrote a memo to him updating my research proposal then printed it off on an equally ancient "dot matrix" printer.

(Fun fact: WordStar used the S, E, X, and D keys for "cursor movement." )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wordstar.jpg (142.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg product-73424.jpg (64.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg northstarhorizon.jpg (92.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by a9127; 01-20-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-20-2019
Shecock obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by liesjeversteven View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by a9127 View Post
You and ila both have me beat. My "first" was just a lowly "Vic-20" hooked up to an old color TV via an adapter that attached to the antenna. Like you, I had the "tape drive." I am jealous of ila that he had an actual disk drive.

Did either of you have the "VIC-Modem"?

The "oldest" computer I have ever used was a "NorthStar" running "CP/M." Its case was made of wood (Hehe..hehe...hehe he said "wood"). It belonged to one of my professors in grad school. He said he bought it in 1979. It was still running after all those years! He let me try using "WordStar." I wrote a memo to him updating my research proposal then printed it off on an equally ancient "dot matrix" printer.

(Fun fact: WordStar used the S, E, X, and D keys for "cursor movement." )
I didn't own the C64 that I used. It belonged to my boss. I asked so many questions about it that he told me to learn how to use it.

I've seen a couple of old tape drives, but I've never used any.

The first computer I ever bought was a Gateway 2000 486 33Mhz. I almost bought a 286 from someone I knew that was selling it, but then I saw an advertisement for a new 486 and it was cheaper than the used 286.

The first modem I ever used was on radio teletype circuits. At a guess I would say it was 15 inches wide by 10 inches high by 18 inches deep and weighed around 20 pounds. It wasn't a digital modem as radio teletype back then was analogue.

The first digital modem I had was when I got my internet connection. It weighted a couple of pounds (if that much) and was about the size of my two hands together. I've been through a few more versions since then with my current one being the size of one of my palms and weighing just a few ounces.

I've heard of Word Star, but never used it. My first printer was a wide carriage dot matrix and I had a 24 pin cable that connected it to my computer.
Old 02-05-2019
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Back in 1954 this was one possible "vision" of what home computers of the future might look like.

Made by RAND Corporation, it was expected to be in use by 2004! According to the caption, it was "easy to use" with its Teletype interface and Fortran language.

My favorite part is the "wall mounted display."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1954-home-computer.jpg (90.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-05-2019
Senior Ladyboy Lover

MistressStevie is just really niceMistressStevie is just really niceMistressStevie is just really niceMistressStevie is just really niceMistressStevie is just really nice
Default Dec pdp 11

the Digital PDP 11s were a hoot. The paper feed DEC Writers gave you a hard copy of all your keyboard interaction. Now where did I put those logs from the early 80s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DEC_Decwriter-II_LA36_front.JPG (115.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Digital.PDP-11.1970.102646128.fc.lg.jpg (186.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-05-2019
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Default Technology Flops?

From PC Magazine. “The Biggest Software Flops of All Time.” How many of you remember any of these?

I remember some of them. Netscape and Joost for example. And I had a Palm Pilot. Mine was the color m505 from 2001. Before “smartphones” that was what you had to do. The most useful thing about it was when I drove across the United States with my first wife in 2004, we were able to download all maps to it and plan our routes. We didn’t have a “navigation” system in our vehicle back then. But the Palm could take advantage of GPS. I paid a lot for it.

Even worse, I remember and actually used “Mosaic.” That was in the earliest days of the “Web.” Maybe 1993? A graphical browser! Awesome! Younger members might like to see what a “Web Page” in 1997 looked like. There is an example of one in Netscape 6. My first “Web Site” was designed in grade school and called “Andyz Home Page” I had a lot of stuff on me and school and sports activities plus pictures of my family on vacation. Also a section on exotic “carz.” Remember this WAS “social media” back then!!!

Of course I remember upgrading to Windows Vista in early 2007 (at major expense). I had just started my “technology” blog then. One of my first articles was a review of Vista. I wasn’t kind. I documented that it had “crashed” necessitating a total restart (and losing everything) no less than 23 times…

Here’s the link:

https://www.pcmag.com/feature/345740...m_medium=title

Last edited by a9127; 06-05-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-05-2019
Shecock obsessed

I remember when Netscape came out and it was the best there was at the time. It was easy to use. I never had a problem with it. The MS started bundling IE with Windows and before anyone realized it Netscape was gone. I also remember the big uproar caused by MS when IE became a basically free program. The world was going to end, but obviously it hasn't.

There was a lot of hype around Vista when it came out. I had friends who jumped right on it and then started complaining about it. By the time I got Vista a lot of the problems had been fixed plus computers had advanced enough that Vista worked quite good. I used Vista until the computer I had broke down due to hardware failure. I think ME was a much worse version of Windows than was Vista.

Harvard Graphics wasn't mentioned and I don't consider it a flop. I do wonder what happened to it as it was easy to use and had features that PowerPoint wouldn't have for many years.
Old 06-05-2019
Senior Ladyboy Lover

MistressStevie is just really niceMistressStevie is just really niceMistressStevie is just really niceMistressStevie is just really niceMistressStevie is just really nice
Default CueCat

I will see that list of flopped software and raise it by a muted meow from the widely panned CueCat!

The Wikipedia article is kind compared to the comments I remember in the day:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CueCat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cuecat2.jpg (598.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-05-2019
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressStevie View Post
I will see that list of flopped software and raise it by a muted meow from the widely panned CueCat!

The Wikipedia article is kind compared to the comments I remember in the day:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CueCat
I remember these! We had one. Think it came to my Dad in the mail. Probably because he subscribed to Forbes.

The "nose" scanned the code. Never used it. We have it somewhere... probably in a box in the garage.

"QR" codes and smartphones have made this obsolete. Besides it used a wire. Even in 2000 it was clear the next thing was to eliminate that. Never knew they invested $185 million in it.
Old 06-05-2019
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ila View Post
I think ME was a much worse version of Windows than was Vista.

Harvard Graphics wasn't mentioned and I don't consider it a flop. I do wonder what happened to it as it was easy to use and had features that PowerPoint wouldn't have for many years.
Windows ME always puzzled me. There was of course 95, then 98, then ME. I remember "98" as a worthwhile upgrade. But I always wondered if "ME" was only released to take advantage of the hype surrounding "Y2K." It was supposed to stand for "Millennium Edition." No one I know knew whether it should be pronounced "M E" or "mee." I never used it, instead installing "Windows 2000" which was based on the more robust "Windows NT." It's funny that "XP" would come out shortly after in 2001 and be around for so many years. I know businesses that still rely on it.

Harvard Graphics was awesome. The company was probably late in porting it to "Windows" in the 90's or people were just too easily satisfied with PowerPoint. I have found in Business, in general, it's hard to get away from the "Office" suite. That may change in the future.

But do you remember the "Paper Clip"? Maybe one day the "digital assistant" will look like the "Real Doll" I configured in the "Dating" thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1_Mb-da6xAdWblMnlyd4WBDg.jpeg (22.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-06-2019
Shecock obsessed

Quote:
Windows ME always puzzled me. There was of course 95, then 98, then ME. I remember "98" as a worthwhile upgrade. But I always wondered if "ME" was only released to take advantage of the hype surrounding "Y2K." It was supposed to stand for "Millennium Edition." No one I know knew whether it should be pronounced "M E" or "mee." I never used it, instead installing "Windows 2000" which was based on the more robust "Windows NT." It's funny that "XP" would come out shortly after in 2001 and be around for so many years. I know businesses that still rely on it.
I always pronounced ME as the two separate letters. I liked XP a lot. It worked so well that many people I know would not give it up until their computer died and they had to upgrade because their new computer came win an OS other than XP. Yes, I was one of them.

Quote:
Harvard Graphics was awesome. The company was probably late in porting it to "Windows" in the 90's or people were just too easily satisfied with PowerPoint. I have found in Business, in general, it's hard to get away from the "Office" suite. That may change in the future.
Harvard Graphics was slow to go to a Windows version, but even after it did PowerPoint in any version would not convert HG Windows to PowerPoint.

Quote:
But do you remember the "Paper Clip"? Maybe one day the "digital assistant" will look like the "Real Doll" I configured in the "Dating" thread.
I remember that annoying paperclip all too well. Like BOB, it always popped up at the most inconvenient time and far too often. I was glad to see that paperclip finally disappear.
Old 10-13-2019
Apprentice Ladyboy Lover

tux is on a distinguished road
Default Old computers!

Like most of you guys, I have been cutting my teeth back in the 1980's. Back then, I used all sort of machines. Like C64, Amiga and early Dos PC's. I still use C64, Amiga and Dos PC's today, as they are my hobby. I have like 4 Amiga's and a couple of C64's and then 6 AT machines and 2 ATX machines. (286, 486's, Pentium, Pentium3 and Pentium 4) Then tons of spare hardware in boxes and so on.
Old 10-14-2019
Senior Ladyboy Lover

The Norton Utilities “Disk Editor.” This was Version 7.0.
Old 10-14-2019
Senior Ladyboy Lover

I am of the belief that anything can be found. A simple "deep scan" of my PC this morning turned up the following. Wonder why this would be on my computer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (9.5 KB, 107 views)
Old 11-17-2019
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Don't ask me why I was browsing for stuff like this as a 14 year old.

http://www.jeff-goldsmith.org/amusingrefs.html

Or why I came across it today... Guess I was just curious to see if the page was still out there. Had been talking about "search engines" with a friend and somehow remembered this and wanted to see if it was still around. It was.

Here's a screenshot of "Alta Vista" from 1997. You know, before there was Google. I used this a lot for school (and other things obviously ). Anyone else remember it?
Attached Images
File Type: gif alta_vista_1997.gif (18.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 11-18-2019
Shecock obsessed

I took a look through some of the old PC books that I have. There is one, published in 1996, specifically for searching the internet. It includes search engines such as Alta Vista, Yahoo, Web Crawler, and a few others. The one search engine not mentioned is google.
Old 04-02-2022
Junior Ladyboy Lover

Lbloverxxx is on a distinguished road

I remember my first pentium 4 processor. Playing Games like duke nukem 3d. Now Intel is about to release a GPU thats 10000x faster than my first computer ( https://gamingindustry247.com/intel-...on-30th-march/ ) time just flies