Trans Ladyboy Forum

Go Back Trans Ladyboy Forum > General Discussion
Register Forum Rules Members List Today's Posts Bookmark & Share

Live TS Webcams *NEW*

Old 05-14-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

smc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to smc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ila View Post
...And what can be more exciting than watching cars go around and around on an oval track.
Watching grass grow?

(Wait, you do realize that most people only watch car racing in hopes of seeing a crash and fire, right?)
Old 05-14-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

smc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by transjen View Post
That's a fair question so i'll answer it

Why did i pick the Penguins you ask well put simply that are a great fun team to watch [when everyone is healthy unlike in this years playoffs] and they are not that far away from me if i decide to go to a game and i love there logo
Penguinsfan Jen
Jen, switch to the Bruins I will personally guarantee to make up the difference in costs to get from where you are to Pittsburgh vs. where you are to Boston, plus the ticket price difference, AND to sweeten the pot I will cover the pre-game beers near the Garden!
Old 05-14-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

transjen has much to be proud oftransjen has much to be proud oftransjen has much to be proud oftransjen has much to be proud oftransjen has much to be proud oftransjen has much to be proud oftransjen has much to be proud oftransjen has much to be proud oftransjen has much to be proud of

Quote:
You're right, Jen. There is nothing like a good live game to make hockey fan.
How true, i was either six or seven when my dad took my brother and i to the old Spectrum too see the Flyers vs Islanders and i still rember Bobby Clarke flying down the ice and puting the puck past Billie Smith and i also remember Bill Barber getting a slight tap and he did a very well acted prop fall causeing a penalty then scoreing during the power play and i was hooked for life

Penguinfan Jen
Old 05-14-2011
Dark Overlord

shadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud of

All these people trying to convince Jennifer to switch to their team! Have you no shame? Don't you know that she should choose the Toronto Maple Leafs instead?

In all seriousness, she should stick with Philly. If they can pick up a good goaltender this offseason they should be much better next year.
Old 05-14-2011
Dark Overlord

shadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud of

I am quite surprised that Boston got their butts handed to them tonight. It was pretty much over after the first period!

I don't expect Boston to play like this for two games in a row, but it would have been nice had they won the first game of the series.
Old 05-14-2011
Shecock obsessed

ila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows View Post
I am quite surprised that Boston got their butts handed to them tonight. It was pretty much over after the first period!

I don't expect Boston to play like this for two games in a row, but it would have been nice had they won the first game of the series.
I have now switched to cheering for Tampa Bay. Hopefully my full support will make them lose.
Old 05-14-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

transjen has much to be proud oftransjen has much to be proud oftransjen has much to be proud oftransjen has much to be proud oftransjen has much to be proud oftransjen has much to be proud oftransjen has much to be proud oftransjen has much to be proud oftransjen has much to be proud of

Quote:

In all seriousness, she should stick with Philly. If they can pick up a good goaltender this offseason they should be much better next year.

The late great Buddy Holly said it best
http://youtu.be/Rk6YDzmqZ0I
Penguinsfan Jen
Old 05-14-2011
Dark Overlord

Quote:
I have now switched to cheering for Tampa Bay. Hopefully my full support will make them lose.
The only thing I could cheer for with regards to the Lightning is Stevie Y.
Old 05-14-2011
Shecock obsessed

ila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The only thing I could cheer for with regards to the Lightning is Stevie Y.
I'm also going to cheer for San Jose in the hopes that it will cause them to lose their series with Vancouver.
Old 05-15-2011
Dark Overlord

Quote:
I'm also going to cheer for San Jose in the hopes that it will cause them to lose their series with Vancouver.
I hope it doesn't end up doing the opposite of what you hope...a Tampa/San Jose final? Yikes!
Old 05-17-2011
Dark Overlord

*cleans off dust from thread*

Vancouver won Game #1 3-2. San Jose continued their streak of having their play taper off in the third period. It was an entertaining game, much more than the Vancouver/Nashville series was(San Jose's defense isn't as "shut-down" as Nashville's was).

Game #2 tomorrow night should be another great one!

Tonight, Boston and Tampa Bay seem to be trading goals! Boston scored 5 goals in the second period. The score is currently 6-4 for Boston with 9:37 to play in the third period.

Seguin is making the most of his time due to the injury to Bergeron, scoring two goals and two assists! I don't think Julian can take him out of the lineup now(when Bergeron comes back).
Old 05-17-2011
Dark Overlord

Yikes! It's now a 6-5 game with 4:26 left in the third!!!
Old 05-17-2011
Dark Overlord

It is now a final. Boston won 6-5. I wonder if smc will be posting here ever again or if the game was too stressful for his heart?
Old 05-17-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
It is now a final. Boston won 6-5. I wonder if smc will be posting here ever again or if the game was too stressful for his heart?
There. I posted.
Old 05-17-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Captn Sacto is a jewel in the roughCaptn Sacto is a jewel in the roughCaptn Sacto is a jewel in the roughCaptn Sacto is a jewel in the rough

I enjoyed the game tonight, glad to see Boston win. Entertaining, but the Bruins better play better next game. They were very lucky that the Lightning didn't tie the game. TB seemed to win every battle along the boards and totally dominated the 3rd period. I even thought the earlier parts of the game were controlled more by TB, but the Bruins capitalized on their opportunities.

The Sharks-Canucks game Sunday was entertaining. I think the Sharks had the better of the play in the first two periods, but the Canucks dominated the last period. Think the Sharks ran out of gas. I think the Red Wing series took a lot out of them, and Vancouver was well rested. During the series with Red Wings, It looked like Detroit was going to break-out and score a bunch of goals. Niemi wouldn't let them. Even with the Canucks controlling the 3rd period, I didn't get the same sense. Vancouver was the better team last game and deserved to win. Will see what happens next game. I expect another good game.
Old 05-18-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn Sacto View Post
I enjoyed the game tonight, glad to see Boston win. Entertaining, but the Bruins better play better next game. They were very lucky that the Lightning didn't tie the game. TB seemed to win every battle along the boards and totally dominated the 3rd period. I even thought the earlier parts of the game were controlled more by TB, but the Bruins capitalized on their opportunities.
I agree that the Bruins better play better, but the idea that Tampa Bay controlled "earlier parts of the game" is ridiculous. Most of the first period was spent in the Bruins' offensive zone! And Boston scored 5 goals in the second period! If that's "control" by Tampa Bay, what team would ever want to be "in control"?
Old 05-18-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Captn Sacto is a jewel in the roughCaptn Sacto is a jewel in the roughCaptn Sacto is a jewel in the roughCaptn Sacto is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post
I agree that the Bruins better play better, but the idea that Tampa Bay controlled "earlier parts of the game" is ridiculous. Most of the first period was spent in the Bruins' offensive zone! And Boston scored 5 goals in the second period! If that's "control" by Tampa Bay, what team would ever want to be "in control"?
Yeah, they scored 5 goals on 9 shots. TB had 16 shots on goal. They took advantage of their opportunities, but getting outshot by almost 2 to 1 doesn't sound like they were in control.
Old 05-18-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Yeah, they scored 5 goals on 9 shots. TB had 16 shots on goal. They took advantage of their opportunities, but getting outshot by almost 2 to 1 doesn't sound like they were in control.
Step right up and join the anti-Bruins bandwagon of which my friend Shadows
seems to have become the driver.
Old 05-18-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:

I'm no bandwagon fan or jumper but i do hope Boston sends Tampa home until training camp opens for the 11/12 season
Penguinsfan Jen
Old 05-18-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
I'm no bandwagon fan or jumper but i do hope Boston sends Tampa home until training camp opens for the 11/12 season
Penguinsfan Jen
Thank you, Jen. I'll go one step further. I'd like to see the Tampa team be "sent home" to somewhere where there ought to be a hockey team, which means nowhere in Florida. Halifax, Saskatoon, Portland (Maine), Fargo, Duluth, etc. ... now those would be nice places to relocate the Lightning.
Old 05-18-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

The Qubec Lightining has a nice ring to it
Penguinsfan Jen
Old 05-19-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
The Qubec Lightining has a nice ring to it
Penguinsfan Jen
As superb a hockey player as Marty St. Louis is, can anyone actually imagine that he isn't at least a little bit embarrassed to be playing for a team in Florida?
Old 05-19-2011
Dark Overlord

Quote:
Where the hell did this dig come from? My last posts were about the current score of the game. They had a 6-3 lead, then 6-4, then 6-5. I said that it was probably stressful to a Bruin's fan to watch, hence the comment on whether your heart could take it(which was a joke).

If you read earlier in the thread, I want Boston to win this series. The only other team I want to win more than Boston is Vancouver. How is that being on the anti-Bruins bandwagon?
Old 05-19-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Where the hell did this dig come from? My last posts were about the current score of the game. They had a 6-3 lead, then 6-4, then 6-5. I said that it was probably stressful to a Bruin's fan to watch, hence the comment on whether your heart could take it(which was a joke).

If you read earlier in the thread, I want Boston to win this series. The only other team I want to win more than Boston is Vancouver. How is that being on the anti-Bruins bandwagon?
First, I was joking. I should have used an emoticon to make that clear, but I never thought you'd think I was really "digging."

I do note, though, that despite who you want to win the series, you have posted some dismissive things about Boston -- such as in our little exchange about the Philadelphia series.
Old 05-19-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
As superb a hockey player as Marty St. Louis is, can anyone actually imagine that he isn't at least a little bit embarrassed to be playing for a team in Florida?

I said the Qubec Lightining because i believe they deserve and could support a hockey team and i believe but could be wrong but i think Vincent L is french Canadian and would be very popular in Qubec making the Lightining a big draw
Penguinsfan Jen
Old 05-19-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
I don't even think you read the posts. I even said I wanted to see Boston win, I only stated that they need to play better.

Which they did tonight.
Old 05-20-2011
Dark Overlord

Quote:
First, I was joking. I should have used an emoticon to make that clear, but I never thought you'd think I was really "digging."

I do note, though, that despite who you want to win the series, you have posted some dismissive things about Boston -- such as in our little exchange about the Philadelphia series.
It is hard to tell the meaning behind people's posts sometimes, since they are just words after all.

Saying that people were concentrating on Philly's atrocious goaltending was by no means me dismissing Boston. They have a good team. In the regular season, I do not like them because they are a fellow Eastern team(but they were pretty much out of the reach of the Leafs this year, so I didn't hate them as much). That being said, in these playoffs the order of teams I wanted to win the Cup go: Vancouver, then Montreal(Canadian team), and then Boston. Being in the top three isn't too bad.

Boston pretty much shut the door on the Lightning tonight. Thomas played really well, and there were a lot less penalties going on(well, with the suspect refereeing this post-season, a lot of penalties have been of the phantom call variety.

Seguin was a lot quieter tonight, but he was still a +1 on the night.
Old 05-20-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
I don't even think you read the posts. I even said I wanted to see Boston win, I only stated that they need to play better.

Which they did tonight.
It is very apparent that friendly joking via sarcasm -- in this case, sarcasm about ANY criticism of the Bruins in the context of their wins -- is useless absent emoticons. In my own posts, I take full responsibility for the failure to have communicated successfully.
Old 05-20-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
It is hard to tell the meaning behind people's posts sometimes, since they are just words after all.

Saying that people were concentrating on Philly's atrocious goaltending was by no means me dismissing Boston. They have a good team. In the regular season, I do not like them because they are a fellow Eastern team(but they were pretty much out of the reach of the Leafs this year, so I didn't hate them as much). That being said, in these playoffs the order of teams I wanted to win the Cup go: Vancouver, then Montreal(Canadian team), and then Boston. Being in the top three isn't too bad.

Boston pretty much shut the door on the Lightning tonight. Thomas played really well, and there were a lot less penalties going on(well, with the suspect refereeing this post-season, a lot of penalties have been of the phantom call variety.

Seguin was a lot quieter tonight, but he was still a +1 on the night.
In addition to my note just above, in response to Captn Sacto, which explains this communication problem generally, I would note that there is a big difference between the analytic perspective one adopts and the support perspective one adopts. It is easy to write, for instance, "I am glad Team A won, because that's the team I support. Team A won because Team B gave away the game."

It seems to me that many of the posts about the Bruins have been of that sort -- concentrating on victories as results of the Boston opponents' shortcomings rather than the Bruins own achievements. That is the source of my joking sarcasm.

Anyhow, I'll wait for the post that says the Bruins won Game 3 because of the breakdown of the Lightning in various areas, as espoused by the TV commentators, before continuing this line of discussion any further.
Old 05-21-2011
Dark Overlord

Quote:
In addition to my note just above, in response to Captn Sacto, which explains this communication problem generally, I would note that there is a big difference between the analytic perspective one adopts and the support perspective one adopts. It is easy to write, for instance, "I am glad Team A won, because that's the team I support. Team A won because Team B gave away the game."

It seems to me that many of the posts about the Bruins have been of that sort -- concentrating on victories as results of the Boston opponents' shortcomings rather than the Bruins own achievements. That is the source of my joking sarcasm.

Anyhow, I'll wait for the post that says the Bruins won Game 3 because of the breakdown of the Lightning in various areas, as espoused by the TV commentators, before continuing this line of discussion any further.
Well, you won't get it from me. They won Game 3 because they were the hungrier team and outplayed Tampa Bay.
Old 05-21-2011
Dark Overlord

Vancouver needs to take needless penalties! Giving San Jose 10 PP opportunities is just asking for trouble. Vancouver did not deserve all of the penalties, but they definitely deserved some of them.

I thought that Vancouver had a chance to tie it up in the third, but they came up just short. They should at least take heart that they almost came back! That being said, San Jose totally outplayed them in the first period by a huge margin(the two penalties didn't help matters!). I think that Niemi helped San Jose in the third, but they had the Canucks on their heels for a lot of the game.

I wonder if Logan Couture is going to miss any time? He is a pretty important part of the Sharks. I may want the Canucks to win the series, but I don't wish an injury on a player of the opposing team!
Old 05-21-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Well, you won't get it from me. They won Game 3 because they were the hungrier team and outplayed Tampa Bay.
A hungry team that also put on a hockey fundamentals clinic.
Old 05-21-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

As of this morning, it appears only a formality that the Atlanta Thrashers will relocate to Winnipeg. I say: let the northern migration begin!

It's time for the league to move every team that has a longitudinal coordinate of 37? or less. That allows Washington and a few other teams that ought to be moved to have a bit more time. So, in addition to Atlanta, let's move the Tampa Bay Lightning (I'm with Jen that they become the Quebec Lightning), Nashville Predators, Anaheim Ducks, Dallas Stars, Los Angeles Kings, and Phoenix Coyotes.

Let's give opportunities to a bunch of appropriate cities to get NHL teams: Saskatoon, Duluth, Portland (Maine), Halifax, Fargo, Grand Rapids, Hartford ...
Old 05-21-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
As of this morning, it appears only a formality that the Atlanta Thrashers will relocate to Winnipeg. I say: let the northern migration begin!

It's time for the league to move every team that has a longitudinal coordinate of 37? or less. That allows Washington and a few other teams that ought to be moved to have a bit more time. So, in addition to Atlanta, let's move the Tampa Bay Lightning (I'm with Jen that they become the Quebec Lightning), Nashville Predators, Anaheim Ducks, Dallas Stars, Los Angeles Kings, and Phoenix Coyotes.

Let's give opportunities to a bunch of appropriate cities to get NHL teams: Saskatoon, Duluth, Portland (Maine), Halifax, Fargo, Grand Rapids, Hartford ...
You forgot the FL PANTHERS but then they are a very forgetable team and i can live with the Sharks and Kings out in CALI but the other for mentioned teams need to fold or move north where the should have been to start with

Penguinsfan Jen
Old 05-21-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
You forgot the FL PANTHERS but then they are a very forgetable team and i can live with the Sharks and Kings out in CALI but the other for mentioned teams need to fold or move north where the should have been to start with

Penguinsfan Jen
You're right! In my excitement over one southern team being relocated, I did leave out the Panthers. I also left out the Carolina Hurricanes. Okay, so let me add both to the list, and to the list of cities to which teams can relocate I'll add Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island) and Anchorage (Alaska).
Old 05-21-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Ugly, ugly, ugly! The Bruins go up 3-0 on mistakes by the Lightning. The Lightning tie the game on mistakes by the Bruins. And then it all falls apart for Boston. Ugly, ugly, ugly!
Old 05-21-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Ugly, ugly, ugly! The Bruins go up 3-0 on mistakes by the Lightning. The Lightning tie the game on mistakes by the Bruins. And then it all falls apart for Boston. Ugly, ugly, ugly!

Didn't you learn anything from the Penguins? now listen up when you have the skateblade on their throat stamp down and finish them off
Penguinsfan Jen
Old 05-22-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Default Take off to the great white north

While not official it looks like the Thrashers are leaving hotLanta and going to Winnipeg
While it's very unlikely they'll be the Jets they maybe called THE MOOSE
Penguinsfan Jen
Old 05-23-2011
Apprentice Ladyboy Lover

k.sucks.you is on a distinguished road
Default Sharks Lose Again to the Sharks

I can't believe it.

Sharks are losing 3-1 to the Sharks. They are not getting outplayed or "choking". I've seen enough to know the difference. This is just total self-destruction.

All this way and and they lose confidence, change their game, lose focus, try too hard, don't try enough, stupid penalties (lots of them).

Who stole the entire Sharks team and replaced them with knuckleheads? This is some Canadian trick! They're all playing like star-eyed rookies,

I know how Jen feels (actually I feel how Jen feels)... but a glimmer of hope remains. One game at a time. They are better than this, and are as good as Vancouver.
Old 05-23-2011
Apprentice Ladyboy Lover

harpoon333 is on a distinguished road
Default I wonder if a Bear has ever been struck by lightning...

I'd love to see Bruins vs. Sharks but both teams have a lil "work ta do". Yikes!
Old 05-23-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

The Boston Globe's Hall of Fame hockey writer, Kevin Paul Dupont, had a very interesting column in yesterday's paper on the Thrashers move to Winnipeg. Put aside the too-clever Canada jokes, and he makes some excellent points -- although I stand by what I wrote earlier, and what I have always contended, about having NHL teams anywhere with weather that precludes kids from growing up playing pond hockey on a regular basis!

The Dennis Wideman - Norris Trophy comment is particularly funny.

It?s hard to see Winnipeg as a winning move
Hockey Notes
May 22, 2011 | By Kevin Paul Dupont

NHL headquarters has yet to confirm it?s a done deal, but rumors, wisdom, and prima facie evidence all point to the Atlanta Thrashers packing up perhaps as early as Tuesday and taking their talents to Winnipeg. (Note to NHL: Maybe consult with LeBron James next time on how to market these big shifts.)

Deep South swapped for Far North, Part 2. Atlanta hockey fans have seen this movie before, when their beloved Flames up and left in the summer of 1980 to do business as the Calgary Flames.

Once again, it looks as though Atlanta has played NHL franchise incubator, so ex-Bruins Mark Stuart and Blake Wheeler, swapped to Atlanta at the March trade deadline, won?t be needing all those sandals and T-shirts after all. It?s not really a culture shock for those two strapping lads, because they grew up in Minnesota, which many Canadians consider the south end of Manitoba ? something that really cheeses off all eight citizens of neighboring North Dakota.

On the heels of the Thrashers-to-go rumors, there was added speculation by the end of the week that Teemu Selanne, who made his NHL debut with the Jets in 1992, will head back to Winnipeg for a welcome-back-to-the-future farewell twirl. What next, Michael J. Fox as general manager?

Let?s see now, the multimillionaire Finn, who has spent the last 14-plus seasons playing for Anaheim, San Jose, and Colorado, returns to one of the coldest places on earth to continue his career at age 41. As they say back in Finlandia, Teemu, did the heat get to you?

Some 20 years after Selanne?s arrival in Winnipeg, the city?s population has increased by about 10 percent and today is pushing 700,000. These are not just people who are banking on global warming. Contrary to the view of most Americans, and even a lot of Canadians, there are good things happening in southern Manitoba, and one is that it has a ready-for-the-NHL arena sitting there waiting to be designated an Original 30 rink.

Now, is a shift back in time to Winnipeg really where the NHL needs to go? That?s a very large, mixed bag of pucks.

Commissioner Gary Bettman, like Selanne, entered the league as a rookie in 1992-93 (February 1993, to be precise), and he?s the guy, more than anyone, who pushed for the broadening of the game?s ?broadcast envelope.?? It was a 24-team league when Bettman arrived, and three of those clubs were WHA orphans Winnipeg, Hartford, and Quebec.

Some 48 months after Bettman?s arrival, all three would be shipped elsewhere ? the Nordiques to Denver in 1995, the Jets to Phoenix in 1996, and the Whale to Raleigh, N.C., in 1997. It wasn?t so much grand design as it was fiscal reality. As Bettman noted recently on his weekly radio show, the Jets left Winnipeg and the Nordiques left Quebec because no one wanted to own an NHL team in those cities anymore.

That?s slightly different than saying no one in those cities wanted to own a team; they just didn?t want to own a team there. Ex-NHL draft pick Tom Glavine, proud son of Billerica and an Atlanta Braves icon, would like to own the Thrashers in Atlanta, but he has not been successful in persuading enough people to share that dream with him. Ergo, Winnipeg Ho!

It has taken nearly 20 years for Bettman?s grandiose broadcast plan to bear fruit, but to his credit, the recent landmark deal he signed with NBC/Versus has validated the idea of spreading the game throughout nontraditional US hockey markets. There remain troubling defects in that mosaic ? Phoenix and Sunrise, Fla., perhaps even Nashville and Raleigh ? but the NBC/Versus/Comcast deal has scored the league buckets of money and provided an uber-platform for what could be tremendous growth.

Yes, such things remain possible even without that satiny ESPN logo stitched into the mattress.

It is somewhat ironic at this self-confirming moment that Winnipeg pokes its red, frozen nose into the scrum. For every Canadian, there are about 10 Americans. For every Winnipeger, there are about 440 Americans. But before we get too carried away with that red-white-and-blue chest-beating, let?s note that the Winnipeg population is equal to that of the US city whose mayor is one Tom Menino. Body for body, Winnipeg is the Hub of Hockey?s sistah city. Boston just has a lot more folks, industries, and wealth surrounding the core 700,000. Winnipeg has a whole lot of snow and timber and polar bears (look it up: Churchill, Manitoba).

The key difference is the population surrounding Winnipeg, which amounts to roughly 500,000 spread across about 250,000 square miles (see: Texas) for a total of approximately 1.2 million. Here in the great state of Massachusetts, the Bruins, discounting a couple of whacked-out Rangers fans, can draw from 6.5 million Bay Staters packed into only 10,500 square miles.

All of which is to say that Manitoba has the kind of open space and passing lanes that could turn even Dennis Wideman into a Norris Trophy candidate. If the NHL is going to land there again, the initial pop will be enthralling, intoxicating. Returning an NHL team to that bit of Canadian soil would be like bringing Paragon Park back to Hull. Initially, everyone and his cousin would rush to the rink.

Until the L?s piled up.

Until Winnipegers realized the sticker shock of $120 lower-bowl seats and $250 suite seats (extra for the handwarmers).

Until American TV interests made it clear that they would prefer to air senior women?s bocce tournaments out of Biloxi to anything happening in Winnipeg. Shortsighted, perhaps, but there is a reason TV is referred to as the small screen.

For all Winnipeg has to offer, in terms of city size and sheer love for everything connected to the vulcanized rubber and carbon stick industry, it remains a real stretch for big-time hockey.

For who they are, and how they love the game, Winnipegers deserve the NHL. But we could say the same thing of many Canadian cities. No one doubts their passion, and compared with the way Atlantans embraced the sport, Winnipeg looks like the ultimate seductress.

But is there really a there there for the NHL? I don?t think so. It may be a better alternative than Atlanta or Phoenix or even Sunrise, but that doesn?t mean it?s the most prudent answer. It?s really nothing more than a safe harbor with very shallow waters, and Bettman, commander of the ship, would be wise now to blast his horn, offer a respectful salute, and steer the S.S. NHL to a richer, more promising port.
Old 05-23-2011
Shecock obsessed

Quote:
[INDENT]The Boston Globe's Hall of Fame hockey writer, Kevin Paul Dupont, had a very interesting column in yesterday's paper on the Thrashers move to Winnipeg.
There is nothing polite that I can say in rebuttal to this article. Nor is there anything polite that I can say about the author so I shall just move on and pretend people like the author don't really exist.
Old 05-23-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
There is nothing polite that I can say in rebuttal to this article. Nor is there anything polite that I can say about the author so I shall just move on and pretend people like the author don't really exist.
I just want to point out that my introductory comment to the piece regarding the Canada jokes should have been stated more explicitly. I think that Dupont makes interesting general points about the market for NHL hockey -- whether one agrees is another issue -- but that the disparaging remarks about Manitoba, Minnesota, and North Dakota are completely unnecessary (although reflective of a certain snootiness about the rest of North America that does exist in New England more generally).
Old 05-23-2011
Shecock obsessed

Quote:
I just want to point out that my introductory comment to the piece regarding the Canada jokes should have been stated more explicitly. I think that Dupont makes interesting general points about the market for NHL hockey -- whether one agrees is another issue -- but that the disparaging remarks about Manitoba, Minnesota, and North Dakota are completely unnecessary (although reflective of a certain snootiness about the rest of North America that does exist in New England more generally).
I did understand your comment that there are Canadian jokes in the article. However the 'jokes' did not come off as jokes. The rest of his comments showed that he has never been to Manitoba (and probably not even Canada). His whole article came off as snootiness.
Old 05-23-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
I did understand your comment that there are Canadian jokes in the article. However the 'jokes' did not come off as jokes. The rest of his comments showed that he has never been to Manitoba (and probably not even Canada). His whole article came off as snootiness.
I disagree with Dupont's characterizations of Manitoba. It is unfortunate that he makes his points in the way that he does. The differences between the financial viability of hockey teams in various places and the fan-base for hockey teams in those same places is a topic worthy of discussion.

I know for a fact that Dupont has been all over Canada, as he has been a hockey reporter for decades and his byline shows where he is writing from. It doesn't excuse his snootiness.

Again, though, I posted the piece because we had been discussing the move to Winnipeg in this thread, and Dupont brings a perspective (aside from the snootiness) that hadn't been represented.
Old 05-23-2011
Dark Overlord

Quote:
Shades of Game #7 last year against Philly!

However, they didn't let it get to them for last night's game and they beat Tampa Bay 3-1(Smith got the start over Roloson). Thomas let in an early goal, but he was perfect the rest of the way. The save he made with his stick was phenominal!
Old 05-23-2011
Dark Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sucks.you View Post
I can't believe it.

Sharks are losing 3-1 to the Sharks. They are not getting outplayed or "choking". I've seen enough to know the difference. This is just total self-destruction.

All this way and and they lose confidence, change their game, lose focus, try too hard, don't try enough, stupid penalties (lots of them).

Who stole the entire Sharks team and replaced them with knuckleheads? This is some Canadian trick! They're all playing like star-eyed rookies,

I know how Jen feels (actually I feel how Jen feels)... but a glimmer of hope remains. One game at a time. They are better than this, and are as good as Vancouver.
San Jose's downfall this game wasn't the fact that they gave up the PP goals(or even the penalties they took to give Vancouver so many 5 on 3's), it was the fact that they were 0-5 on their own PP to start the game.

Even though I am rooting for Vancouver, I can't say too many bad things about the way the Sharks have played the series. They have played with a heart that they never used to be known for. Thornton has even changed his play. He used to be invisible in the playoffs, but he is playing very well this year.

I think he won't be very effective next game due to his injured shoulder, but I respect the fact that he is still going to try and play regardless of how hurting he is.
Old 05-24-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Shades of Game #7 last year against Philly!

However, they didn't let it get to them for last night's game and they beat Tampa Bay 3-1(Smith got the start over Roloson). Thomas let in an early goal, but he was perfect the rest of the way. The save he made with his stick was phenominal!
Whoever said on Versus that it would be on highlight reels for years to come was, I am sure, correct.
Old 05-24-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Whoever said on Versus that it would be on highlight reels for years to come was, I am sure, correct.
A great moment in hockey history for sure but i still think Bobby Orr's leap is better and more classic

Penguinsfan Jen
Old 05-24-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
A great moment in hockey history for sure but i still think Bobby Orr's leap is better and more classic

Penguinsfan Jen
I agree, but why are we comparing the two?