Trans Ladyboy Forum

Go Back Trans Ladyboy Forum > General Discussion
Register Forum Rules Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Bookmark & Share

Old 08-02-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

sesame has a spectacular aura aboutsesame has a spectacular aura about
Default Who goes camping?

Post ideas on camping. Describe your experiences, camping tips, list of items... whatever. How about locations? Where do you prefer to camp? In high mountains? In deep forests? Beside lakes and rivers? Do some fishing for dinner, or what? :D
Old 08-02-2008
Shecock obsessed

ila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond repute

I go camping usually every summer. My camping areas are always at lakes. I'll go fishing when I'm camping, but my goal is to not catch fish. I throw a line in the water just to occupy my time. Besides no one usually bothers anyone else that is fishing and so I get some quiet time for myself.

My camping is quite austere compared to others. I have a tent, my sleeping bag, a coleman stove, and a cooler. Maybe someday I'll get a big camper, but the way the price of gas is going I'll have to come into a lot of money in order to be able to afford to even move it.
Old 08-02-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

SluttyShemaleAnna is a glorious beacon of lightSluttyShemaleAnna is a glorious beacon of lightSluttyShemaleAnna is a glorious beacon of lightSluttyShemaleAnna is a glorious beacon of lightSluttyShemaleAnna is a glorious beacon of lightSluttyShemaleAnna is a glorious beacon of light

Never camp in a valley bottom, 'cos it will turn out to be a frost hollow, and you will wake up with your tent covered in ice. Never camp on top on a hill either, because 1, it will be too windy, 2 it will be to slopey, and 3 it will be too fucking lumpy. Halfway up is the best place. Or in a wood. Tho if you're in a wood, a badger may get in your tent and rip your testicles off.

Also, camper vans are not camping, its caravanning, which is the lowest of all forms of holidaying.

Also, real camping involves fitting everything on your back and walking to the campsite, otherwise it's just sleeping in a tent next to your car (unless there's a moderate chance of being eaten by a bear, in which case it becomes camping again.).
Old 08-02-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Anna
real camping involves fitting everything on your back and walking to the campsite, otherwise it's just sleeping in a tent next to your car (unless there's a moderate chance of being eaten by a bear, in which case it becomes camping again.).
You got me there!

Thanks for the tips.
Old 08-02-2008
Shecock obsessed

ila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluttyShemaleAnna View Post
Never camp in a valley bottom, 'cos it will turn out to be a frost hollow, and you will wake up with your tent covered in ice. Never camp on top on a hill either, because 1, it will be too windy, 2 it will be to slopey, and 3 it will be too fucking lumpy. Halfway up is the best place. Or in a wood. Tho if you're in a wood, a badger may get in your tent and rip your testicles off.

Also, camper vans are not camping, its caravanning, which is the lowest of all forms of holidaying.

Also, real camping involves fitting everything on your back and walking to the campsite, otherwise it's just sleeping in a tent next to your car (unless there's a moderate chance of being eaten by a bear, in which case it becomes camping again.).
It takes me several hours to drive to where I go camping. There's not much chance I'm going to walk there and back (1200 km) in the time that I have for holidays. The area where I go camping has a lot of bears around and moose. One doesn't really want to irritate either species. Oh yes, I can't forget about horseflies that are the as big as a man's thumb and the clouds of mosquitoes.
Gee I guess I really do go camping.

Last edited by ila; 08-02-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-02-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

SluttyShemaleAnna is a glorious beacon of lightSluttyShemaleAnna is a glorious beacon of lightSluttyShemaleAnna is a glorious beacon of lightSluttyShemaleAnna is a glorious beacon of lightSluttyShemaleAnna is a glorious beacon of lightSluttyShemaleAnna is a glorious beacon of light

Any of you guys know what you are supposed to do if you are in bear filled woods with no car to lock your food inside?

You have to climb a tree 100 metres from your campsite, then put a rope from that to another tree, and hang the food bag in the middle, 12 foot from the ground and 4 foot from each tree, otherwise the bear can jump up and get at it.

Bears are far too crafty, it's only a mater of time till they learn to use firearms and drive automobiles then it's the end for us humans..... lol
Old 08-03-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Wink Experiences & Titbits 1

I love walking tours. I have done it quite often in the past. If you go visit the high mountains, there is no other alternative but to walk! Pack up all things really really necessary, get rid of worthless trifles, and carry it all on your sore back! Oh, forget whatever you may, dont forget your food! It can make a difference between life and death!

It happened to me several times. Once I was dying in a heavily forested gorge, without food! It was infested with wild animals and I seriously didnt want to spend the night there. I travelled until the end of my stamina and then, just gave up! I couldnt move, my muscles bagan to fail. I just sat down to pray and slowly die. Along came a woodcutter, and my hopes rekindled! I asked him for food, he smiled and told me that he had none, only a pile of firewood! By the way, he told me that there was a spring nearby. I sat up, concentrated on my options. I was out of water. Since I was going to die anyway, why not look in my bag one last time? I rummaged my bag and found a packet of 200 gms of sugar! Just what I needed. I part crawled on all four, part walked to a very shadowy part of the woods, following the mild hisss sound of the spring. I filled my bottle with water, poured all the sugar in and shook it to a solution for minutes. And then, I drank that life saving nectar! Yes, thank God! That liquid, rich in all the energy I needed, sustained me for a 5 km uphill climb! This happened somewhere near Chopta and Mukku-Bend on my way to Tunganath. Its marked reddish in the map. Those days were really good. I walked about 215 kms in 8 days, without rest. I took many shortcuts through jungles and avoided the road as much as I could. The whole 5 Kedarnath belt was covered on foot! First I wore canvas shoes! The leeches got inside the socks and sucked my blood for hours! The white shoes became brown at the end of the day. After a few days, they were shattered rags! I got rid of them and purchased a pair of slippers from a village local store. After some more stressful walking, I developed sores all over my feet, from constant friction. The next scene is pretty hilarious, an ironic grin comes to my face, every time I think of it. That is, me limping barefooted over the tracks, slippers in hand. Wherever the stretch was filled with jagged rocks, I would put on the slippers and go barefoot again when the pain became too much. I was so thankful & glad when I finally completed my route and finally stood on the asphalt road with transportation in Helang, not far from Urgam. Mission accomplished! :D

Advice: Better be very choosy about what you carry, its your own hide! Or else if you are a rich lucky fatso you can afford to hire a porter or two. Dont just leave your trash in the mountains or forests, collect them, bring em back to the stinking city, where they belong! Wear waterproof shoes with 2 socks or anklets inside. That way, your feet will be in good working condition for a long time. Always keep some Glucose in handy.

Image: My hand drawn map from 2004. It describes in detail the route I took from Kedarnath to Helang.
Attached Thumbnails
Himalayan_map04.jpg  

Last edited by sesame; 08-03-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-04-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

GRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to behold

I like camping, but admittedly, I don't like "hardcore" camping...

I've always enjoyed the sort of camping where I can park, and then hike a reasonable distance to my site, but MUCH prefer a working source of drinkable water, etc. to not be TOO far away...

That said, I like a tent...I've never camped in an RV, nor do I have the desire to camp right next to water/electical hookups. But I DID camp on a remote island, where my site was several miles from the nearest water source, and right in the middle of a marsh...

Between the mosquitoes and extreme heat/humidity, I decided that camping like THAT does not suit my fancy. I don't want to have to walk miles on end just to procure water which I then must boil to make drinkable, all admidst a storm of malaria inducing insects. No thanks!
Old 08-04-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

DL_NL will become famous soon enough

By SSAnna's definition I like to sleep in a tent next to my car. I'm such a wuss that I don't even prepare my own meals on a rickety stove using water I have to get from halfway across the site- I go out for food.

In fact, I like to sleep in a tent because it's cheap (I prefer two weeks in a tent over three days in a hotel, if the weather's half decent) and because I like waking up to the sound of birds instead of a hotel wake-up call and housekeeping banging their trolleys against the door.
Old 08-04-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Default Natural Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL_NL
I like to sleep in a tent because it's cheap (I prefer two weeks in a tent over three days in a hotel, if the weather's half decent) and because I like waking up to the sound of birds instead of a hotel wake-up call and housekeeping banging their trolleys against the door.
I agree whole heartedly. Righto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRH
I don't want to have to walk miles on end just to procure water which I then must boil to make drinkable
I always carry my water. But in case I am crossing a mountain or a forest, I am sure there would be streams or waterfalls to replenish my water. Just do some thorough enquiry about waterholes in case you are in an arid region. Regarding boiling of that natural water, :D I never do it. I just drink it directly from the source. My dad, who had been a civil engineer by profession, warned me of hill diarrhoea and such diseases... but I never got any. I just take that risk. I just like sweet sparkling clear water.

Years ago, when I hesitated to drink water from a spring, with fragments of green moss floating in it, one of the locals laughed at me and said, "Hey, have you not heard of Vitamin-C? Thats what the green stuff is!" Of course he was kidding. But from that day, my inhibition left me. I have even drank yellowish river water, which precipitated silt; and managed to digest it! I believe its all in your mind.

Last edited by sesame; 08-04-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2008
Shecock obsessed

Quote:
Also, camper vans are not camping, its caravanning,
It may be called caravanning in the UK, but it's not called that where I live.

Quote:
which is the lowest of all forms of holidaying.
That would be your opinion. If I had trailer and the vehicle to move it then I would definitely go camping in that. It's drier, more comfortable, and it sure is nice to be able to get away from all the flying and biting blood sucking insects.
Old 08-04-2008
Banned

jimnaseum has a spectacular aura aboutjimnaseum has a spectacular aura about

We would hike the Appalachian Trail when I was a kid, very safe, I got into alot more trouble hitch-hiking with no money. In Miami, I met my first transexual in a baby blue T-bird, She was so beautiful she looked like a Doll. My worst experience was at the beach, no money for a hotel, so we got eaten alive by mosquitos all night.
Attached Thumbnails
1211462616THM7zUs.jpg  
Old 08-05-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

The proper use for a caravan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB74LJXAKYc

And the proper use of a motorhome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHpfW_yXInE

Tent racing is yet to be invented.
Old 08-05-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

DL_NL will become famous soon enough

Without even looking, I'd hazard a guess that the YT links refer to Top Gear scenes...
Old 08-05-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

twistedone has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Just went camping this last weekend. I love to camp in the mountains.
Usually go with friends, sit around the campfire, shoot the breeze, and explore our surroundings, and enjoy nature.

I'm a pretty simple camper. I have most of my gear in large plastic tote boxes that I can toss into the back of a pickup along with my tent, sleeping bag, and 3in thick foam pad. The tote boxes contain stoves, lanterns, cooking utensils, foil, some condiments, coffee, campfire coffee maker, and pots and pans. As well as my favorite, a large cast iron dutch oven which I have used to make some fantastic meals while in the woods.
Old 08-06-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Default Making a Tent

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedone View Post
I'm a pretty simple camper. I have most of my gear in large plastic tote boxes that I can toss into the back of a pickup along with my tent, sleeping bag, and 3in thick foam pad. The tote boxes contain stoves, lanterns, cooking utensils, foil, some condiments, coffee, campfire coffee maker, and pots and pans. As well as my favorite, a large cast iron dutch oven which I have used to make some fantastic meals while in the woods.
Thank you for your post twistedone. Its most informative.
I read about making a tent from scratch somewhere. I will look in my backup CDs and post it here soon.
Old 08-06-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL_NL View Post
Without even looking, I'd hazard a guess that the YT links refer to Top Gear scenes...
One does, the other to a great destruction derby video i found.

Talking about Top Gear, who else would love to fuck the Hampster?

Quote:
3in thick foam pad.
Woah woah woah, what's this? I thought we were talking about camping not building a tiny replica of a hotel bed. A therma rest is the limit ok, if a thermarest aint comfy enough, you have a faulty back! (if you actually do have a faulty back, you are let off this point)

Quote:
a large cast iron dutch oven
Ok, now your just doing it wrong....

oh, and last time I checked a ''campfire coffee maker'' was a pan, anything else is actually an indoor utensil that you have accidentally taken with you outside.

Old 08-06-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Default Anna's Folly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluttyShemaleAnna
oh, and last time I checked a ''campfire coffee maker'' was a pan, anything else is actually an indoor utensil that you have accidentally taken with you outside.
Now then, Annie, who decides whether something is an indoor or outdoor item? The Ads, The magazines, Or just You?
Old 08-06-2008
Shecock obsessed

Quote:
It would seem to me that a pan is also an indoor utensil that has been accidentally taken outside.
If you want to take this to it's purest form then start stripping bark off trees to hold water, don't drink coffee - water only, don't use any item that came out of any type of building whatsoever so that when you cook your meals any containers used are what you have actually made. Start your fires without the aid of matches or lighters. Don't take any shelter whatsoever, make what you need. Don't take sleeping bags or blankets - find something in nature to cover yourself with. Air mattresses or sleeping pads are definitely out. Find something in nature to lay on. Don't take any food with you. Find everything you need to eat by hunting and gathering. Oh yes and to go to ridiculous extremes don't wear any clothes. Get everything from what nature provides. This then will provide you with a camping experience in its truest and purest form.
Old 08-06-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

How about spending a whole week on nothing but fruits and germinating grams and nuts? That would be totally natural! Been there, done it.
Old 08-06-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

no no, Ila, a pan is a perfectly acceptable outdoor utensil, as long as it's not the glass lidded Teflon one from your kitchen.

Acceptable outdoor utensils: http://www.shop4scouts.com/catalog/i...angia_25-1.JPG

Important features:

Aluminium for super lightweightness
All fit inside each other, thanks to no handles
frying pan also works as a lid
a fitting-inside kettle is also acceptable (http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/pro...Kettle_250.jpg)
A coffee pot does not fit inside the pans, so it is out.

The rules for camping are: If it fits on your back, it's ok. A real camp trip should have no more than the same basic items that you would take up Everest. Now this counts out cast iron dutch ovens, as it's too heavy, and foam mattresses are out cos they are too big, inflatable mattresses are ok (like a thermarest, not a double airbed).

Simple guide:

Correct : http://www.hillcountryspecialties.co...log/53_1_b.JPG

Incorrect : http://img2.travelblog.org/Photos/44...razy-van-0.jpg
Old 08-06-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

and don't get me started on gas barbecues....
Old 08-06-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ila
Find something in nature to lay on. Don't take any food with you. Find everything you need to eat by hunting and gathering. Oh yes and to go to ridiculous extremes don't wear any clothes.
Great idea! Where is Bionca? Lets plan an all natural trip, what do you say sweetie?
Old 08-07-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

twistedone has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
One does, the other to a great destruction derby video i found.

Talking about Top Gear, who else would love to fuck the Hampster?

Woah woah woah, what's this? I thought we were talking about camping not building a tiny replica of a hotel bed. A therma rest is the limit ok, if a thermarest aint comfy enough, you have a faulty back! (if you actually do have a faulty back, you are let off this point)

I have a pinched nerve in my back, so I need the firmness of sleeping on the ground, but also a little cushion. A camping pad only irritates it.

Ok, now your just doing it wrong....

If I don't have my morning coffee, the forest will never be the same again. LOL Its a Coleman coffee maker that sits on the camp stove.

I didn't tell you I brought a portable battery powered DVD player did I?
Old 08-07-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
I didn't tell you I brought a portable battery powered DVD player did I?
That's it, you are banned from outdoors!
Old 08-07-2008
Apprentice Ladyboy Lover

ziggybabie is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't been on a camping trip (not counting military) since childhood. I have always thought wilderness survival was a cool thing, though. Where they could drop you off in the middle of the forest with no clothing, or materials whatsoever and you could make your own food, clothing, shelter and whatnot.
Old 08-07-2008
Apprentice Ladyboy Lover

DaveDanger is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesame View Post
Post ideas on camping. Describe your experiences, camping tips, list of items... whatever. How about locations? Where do you prefer to camp? In high mountains? In deep forests? Beside lakes and rivers? Do some fishing for dinner, or what? :D
A few years ago me and a mate were camping in Sitges (Spain) so we could go to the annual horror film fest. The festival is usually in early October, but that year it was in late November - early December, and it was damn cold - and, being a bit of an idiot, I didn't take a sleeping bag and had to sleep in two t-shirts, a jumper and my leather jacket, as well as wrapping my feet in towels. The campsite itself is about two miles or so outside of the town centre, and you could either walk along a dual carriage way or past some rabid dogs and along the seafront to get into town.

Saying all that though, it's a beautiful place, and an experience I'll never forget. Also, there were at least 15 semi-feral cats also living on the site and every night the kittens would try to get in the tent. I imagine it would be great in the summer.
Old 08-08-2008
Ms Tranny Manners

Bionca is a splendid one to beholdBionca is a splendid one to beholdBionca is a splendid one to beholdBionca is a splendid one to beholdBionca is a splendid one to beholdBionca is a splendid one to beholdBionca is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesame View Post
Great idea! Where is Bionca? Lets plan an all natural trip, what do you say sweetie?
Sounds good. You do the camping, and I'll be at the hotel in a hot tub. I grew up camping where you brought a tent, some kindling incase the wood got wet, a sleeping bag, and a fishing pole and a fry pan - the end. I frakkin hated it!
Old 08-08-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

marlowe is a jewel in the roughmarlowe is a jewel in the roughmarlowe is a jewel in the rough
Default Not Happy Camper

I'm with Bionca in the hot tub at the hotel (so to speak).
I was sent off as a child on group camping holidays and don't have happy memories. A couple of damp nights in a small tent since then haven't changed my mind, camping is not for me.
Old 08-10-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

CreativeMind is a jewel in the roughCreativeMind is a jewel in the roughCreativeMind is a jewel in the roughCreativeMind is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionca View Post
Sounds good. You do the camping, and I'll be at the hotel in a hot tub.
I'd have to echo those thoughts. My idea of camping and "roughing it" would be to stay at a nice hotel with a big bay window that looks out ON the woods. So, camping in tents...sleeping bags on the cold, hard ground and all that kind of stuff...I'll pass. My Cub Scout days are long since behind me.

Of course on the OTHER hand -- if we're talking about hitting the Great Outdoors and we can stay in a nice wooden cabin, complete with a cozy fireplace and a roaring fire and well-stocked supplies and beds covered with blankets....hey, count me in.

Then again I think Marlowe had the best idea of all.
Hitting the hot tub with Bionca in tow!
Old 08-10-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Lightbulb What you will miss

Camping is all about reducing your needs to a minimum and letting go of the luxuries that have spoilt us. All this sacrifice will allow us to spend some quality time in the bosom of Nature.

But if you feel too unhappy without the comforts of your bedroom, then you better stay in a hotel and be in peace. But you will miss out many things that virgin nature has to offer us, if you are a slave to urban life. Say, there are no hotels (due to lack of customers, obviously) in deep woods or high mountains or lonely pristine sea beaches. Then you can never be in those places, sigh, what a great loss that must be!

All the greatest experiences and adventures come with the string that you will be willing to give up such little comforts of usual life for a few days. No soft beds, no bubble baths, no hot water, no commercial beverages, no customised dishes, no friends and relatives, no TV or internet, no AC, no lazy restful days( if you are climbing or trekking), no cellphones!
Old 08-10-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

camping is about getting woken in the middle of the night and wondering whether that snuffling noise is a hedgehog or a wild boar (most dangerous animal I could think of in the UK, hope they reintroduce wolves soon!) or if your in the US, a racoon or a bear.

Then sitting in the dark clutching your maglite like a club ready to bash the beasts head in if it ripps your tent open in a horrible battle to the death cave girl style! Take that sabre toothed tiger! oops, I mean, small badger.
Old 08-10-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Anna the ship!
camping is about getting woken in the middle of the night and wondering whether that snuffling noise is a hedgehog or a wild boar (most dangerous animal I could think of in the UK, hope they reintroduce wolves soon!) or if your in the US, a racoon or a bear.
Then sitting in the dark clutching your maglite like a club ready to bash the beasts head in if it ripps your tent open in a horrible battle to the death cave girl style! Take that sabre toothed tiger! oops, I mean, small badger
You are losing it now. How about Bears or panther or puma or rattle-snake or cobra or a pack of wild dogs? Oh, I just remembered...an elephant or, a buffalo or Rhino or a Monitor (big lizard) may also like to say hello to you!
I had to share the same hut with a cobra once. But I wont give you people a chance to laugh and choke on your coffee by relating the incident.
I cant believe that UK is totally devoid of wolves!
Old 08-10-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

no wolves. We have beavers again now, but not properly.

We need to re-plant more forest before we can have wolves, or they will be constantly eating sheep.

One day Seseme, I'm going to come to your house and put a hungry leopard in your toilet.
Old 08-10-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
One day Seseme, I'm going to come to your house and put a hungry leopard in your toilet.
It better be a baby leopard, or I will go elsewhere to answer natural calls.

I have seen leopards though. Very cunning agile creatures, I consider them more resourceful than tigers or lions.
Old 08-10-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

It will be a huge one,

It needs to be if I'm going to keep Dent from finding the plans.
Old 08-11-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Default Anna and her raccoon

This is a surprise gift for Anna! How lovely! A cute cute raccoon! Mmmm
I will put him in your bedroom and leave the two of you to socialize.
Attached Thumbnails
Raccoon_Anna.jpg   raccoon.jpg  
Old 08-11-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Sesame, you are possible the most annoying person in hte world, If I ever met you, I would hit you with a cricket bat.
Old 08-11-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Sesame, you are possible the most annoying person in hte world, If I ever met you, I would hit you with a cricket bat.
Well, a small raccoon is much easier to cope with than a full grown Leopard!

What did I do to annoy Anna?
On 2nd thoughts, she is always looking at someone with a club in her hands! Only now, the target is me! Ok, Anna, lets play cricket!
Old 08-11-2008
rhythmic delivery

the best place to pitch a tent is in your pants.
Old 08-11-2008
Shecock obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic delivery View Post
Yep.
Old 08-11-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Default Wild Buzz

A raccoon attack can be quite messy. When raccoons decides to bite something, they dont let go easily, they are very stubborn. They also have good memory. But they scarcely attack humans. But be on the safe side and stay away if you spot one. While camping, dont throw your extra food around the forest floor. This may draw bears, raccoons, dogs, wolves to your campsite. At night, light a small fire outside the tent to ward off prawling animals. Dont go too far out at night to pee, it may be dangerous.

Raccoons in your neighbourhood
Female raccoons have a very acute nesting instinct. They find their way into cozy corners of wooden houses, like attics. They can get in though windows and chimneys, being very good climbers. They literally dig and gnaw through wooden boards and make your home their own! And when they choose to use some part of the house as latrine, they do it repeatedly. And the odour is very disturbing, believe me. So, keep your surroundings clean and free from food leftovers.

But when you are in a jungle, you are encroaching into the territory of wild animals. So have some respect for them. When you are leaving the campsite, try to reinstate the pristine environment it was before you were there. Leave without a trace, carry your garbage and wrappers back with you. We humans have taken away the habitat of most of the wild animals and have caused so many of them to be extinct. So preserve the remaining wilderness and the animals. They have some right over this planets too.

If more people learn to live in harmony with nature, love the wilderness and the wild animals, this world will be a much better place. Awareness leads to appreciation. Peace.
Old 08-11-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic delivery View Post
Well, that would be the morning wood... whether you are in a city or actually in a wood!
Old 08-17-2008
Shecock obsessed

Default Winter Camping

Enough of this wimpy summer camping. If you want to experience a true camping adventure try the winter. I don't mean a typical mild European winter either. Go camping when the temperature goes down to -40°C (-40° is exactly the same in Fahrenheit or Centigrade). It doesn't matter whether you use a snowmobile, skis, snowshoes, or your feet alone to get to your campsite. Take along a tent or make your own shelter from snow or tree branches. If you use a tent I recommend canvas with sturdy steel or aluminium poles and not a light nylon tent that you would use in summer. Also make sure your tent doesn't have a floor. Snow is quite adequate for a floor. For the adventurous that want to make their own snow shelter take along a shovel, with a big scoop, to pile up the snow and then hollow out the mound. Don't try to build an igloo unless you are in the arctic where the wind will cause the snow to form hard drifts. Also don't try to build an igloo unless you first have a competent person show you how to do it, as igloos are not easy to make.

Equipment to take with you (in addition to food and warm clothing). This list is not comprehensive and is only a guide:
o A naphtha stove
o Naphtha
o Lantern
o Pots
o Shovel
o Machete/knife/axe
o Warm sleeping bag
o Air mattress (only fools take foam in winter)
o Toboggan
o Extra rope or cord
o Reflective foil blanket
o For the adventurous types that go to the arctic take a rifle. Polar bears see humans as a potential meal and I guarantee that you will not best one in a wrestling match. Dogs make excellent companions as well as early warning alarms against polar bears.

For those that are wondering I have been on many winter camping trips. The coldest I have ever experienced was -50°C. I have usually slept in a tent and only once in a snow shelter. I have never been in or made an igloo even though I have been to the arctic.

Winter camping is a truly exhilarating experience for those that try it or those that have done it.
Old 08-17-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

GRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ila View Post
Go camping when the temperature goes down to -40°C (-40° is exactly the same in Fahrenheit or Centigrade)
I have to admit Ila, I thought you were lying on this point until I did the calculation myself. You are, in fact correct!

I've wanted to go winter camping as you describe. For that matter, I've wanted to spend a winter in Antarctica, but I doubt I ever have the chance. Recently, I saw a job opening for a summer position in Antarctica doing hydroponic food production...If only I didn't have my committments here. Oh well...

Winter camping is a completely different ball of wax than the summer variant, but I think it stands to be more rewarding.
Old 08-17-2008
Shecock obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRH View Post
For that matter, I've wanted to spend a winter in Antarctica, but I doubt I ever have the chance.
Winter in Antarctica - you must be foolhardy, or brave, or adventurous or possibly even a bit of each. The northern hemisphere bloody cold in winter, Antarctica is blisteringly, achingly, numbingly freezing. I commend you on your sense of adventure. I too would like to see Antarctica in winter, but I don't know if I would want to spend a whole winter there.
Old 08-19-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ila View Post
Winter in Antarctica - you must be foolhardy, or brave, or adventurous or possibly even a bit of each. The northern hemisphere bloody cold in winter, Antarctica is blisteringly, achingly, numbingly freezing. I commend you on your sense of adventure. I too would like to see Antarctica in winter, but I don't know if I would want to spend a whole winter there.
I would rank myself probably 2 parts foolhardy, 1 part brave, and 2 parts adventurous. I'm just a classic adrenaline junkie, I've wanted to climb Everest and K2, for the sole reason that "they are there." I used to go cave diving, and I could never go deep enough or far enough. I want to push where very few have gone before, and if I die in the process, oh well.
Old 08-19-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

I think climbing Everest would be mores boring than exciting.

It's certainly boring when someone tells you about them climbing it.

Now punching an alligator, that's a whole different story.....
Old 08-19-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRH View Post
I would rank myself probably 2 parts foolhardy, 1 part brave, and 2 parts adventurous. I'm just a classic adrenaline junkie, I've wanted to climb Everest and K2, for the sole reason that "they are there." I used to go cave diving, and I could never go deep enough or far enough. I want to push where very few have gone before, and if I die in the process, oh well.
GRH, I didnt know about this hidden facet of yours! Well, Bravo
But then, you say, "I want to push where very few have gone before"...
I think too many people have gone to conquer the summits of Everest or Godwin-Austen. Its time to choose some new virgin peaks! I like to go places where there are very few human faces to see. viz. Deep forests, high mountains... no groups, no guides, no hullaballoo, no fellow campers. Just peaceful solitude. AAAh!
Old 09-05-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

TracyCoxx is infamous around these partsTracyCoxx is infamous around these partsTracyCoxx is infamous around these parts

The best kind of camping for me is out of a backpack and in the mountains. I've camped near Half dome and climbed it, I hiked up to Boulderfield (12000 ft elevation) on Long's Peak in Colorado and climbed it. And also climbed Mount Whitney in California. Unfortunately I don't live close to the mountains so I haven't done it as much as I like. But I will do more. My dream climb is Mt McKinley.