View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

GRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesame View Post
My personal favourite is the Swetashwetara Upanishad. Its full of Yogic thoughts and hints. Next is Mandukya Upanishad. Its the smallest Upanishad and yet the subtlest one. It describes the four states of mind in great detail. There is a very good video in Youtube that explains it with Simple Diagrams. Then there is Mundaka Upanishad which tries to describe the Soul as perceived in meditation. There is a book called "Ten Upanishads" by Sri Aurobindo, its the best. Also read the "Abhyasa Yoga/ Dhyana Yoga" chapter if you can lay your hands on a Gita. In fact, if you can find a Gita, which appears to be a war manual , Read Sankhya Yoga, (ie, chapter 2) it describes the immortality of the Soul in great detail. That said, I will move on to meditation.
I read Mandukya tonight and I read Mundaka last night. As to the Gita, who could NOT own a copy? And who could be dense enough to think it a book about war? There is some really beautiful imagery in it, particularly when Krishna reveals his ultimate Being to Arjuna. I have copies of Ramayana and Mahabharata, but they are condensed retellings of the original epics (written by Buck I believe, he studied the original texts pretty thoroughly). Out of curiosity, have you studied the original texts of either of these epics? Given that Mahabharata comes in around the 5,000 page mark, I'm glad to have the condensed retelling.

Thank you for your wonderful description of meditation.