View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009
Communicator

Mel Asher is infamous around these partsMel Asher is infamous around these parts
Exclamation Now you see it, now you don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocks with beauty View Post
So Mr Sesame, ref. your assertion
" Matter cannot be created, nor can it be destroyed ",
and " Similarly, Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it only changes form "

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN MATTER MEETS ANTIMATTER ? ( The existence of both has been proved experimentally )

I'd be interested to see the theoretical Interaction Equations.

Oblige me please.
I don't want people to think I am replying for Sesame, or that I am trying to take anything away from Jenae's authorship of this Thread, but it looks as though you have assumed that nothing is left when Antimatter hits Matter.
This is not so. Almost invariably intense Gamma Radiation is created with a very short duration, which is why I would imagine Jenae quoted E=mc2. In fact the velocity of stellar Gamma Ray emissions is far less than the speed of light, which is why it takes a hell of a long time to reach instruments here on Earth, and sometimes never reaches us at all if it is not aligned with our galaxy. Only a small proportion of Gamma Radiation received from space can be accounted for in this way, and Matter-Antimatter interactions in Space are one of the Holy Grails sought by many Astrophysicists.

And yes, the product of Matter-Antimatter interaction is pure energy ( mostly Gamma Rays )

What irritates some Astronomers is the observable fact that some stars apparently self-destruct without any apparent residual radiation ! Spooky stuff eh ?