View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019
Shecock obsessed

ila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by a9127 View Post
Had to think about what the "oldest" working piece of technology I own is. I think it is a Casio fx-11 "Scientific" calculator from 1974.

This belonged to my dad. I last "fired it up" sometime last year. It takes 4 AA type batteries. Power switch is "iffy" but if you wiggle it enough it will turn on.

One of the most interesting features is the green flourescent tube display and the "little" zeroes. So "ninety" looks like "9o."

(Pictures courtesy of Casio)
I couldn't help but notice the ℼ key. I checked my handheld calculators and none of them, including the scientific versions, has that key. The various calculators on my computer do. Even my old slide rules had ℼ marked on them. It's so much faster to do a lot of calculations if the key/mark is there rather than having to remember 3.1416 or divide 22 by 7.