Thread: Barack Obama
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Ogryn1313 is infamous around these partsOgryn1313 is infamous around these partsOgryn1313 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionca View Post
Perhaps the Brits you see posting on the Internet have a common "feel" to them because England (and France, and Holand, and Spain) have a history of fucking up foreign countries for their particular benefit, having that blow up in their face, and causing tremendous harm to actual living breathing people and being called out for it.

It's also about perception - What you may see as the US going in and helping another country remain stable is seen by others as America acting as like a bully on the world stage. Since no action taken in a foreign country is ever fully altruistic, having motives questioned by our allies keeps the "big dogs" in check.

As far as McCain/Palin and their social politics....

Lots of Conservative gays and trans*people and the guys who like us love to talk about how their main focus is foreign policy and/or economics. Well bully for you. The Real ID Act the McCain and Palin support will make it EVER HARDER for pre and non- op gals to get a basic job that doesn't involve sex work. Do you get the economic impact of that?

The current Patriot Act (I love how Conservatives are so dismissive about how no actual Americans have anything to worry about with the PA) outs Transfolks every time they get a non-sex work job, with a recommendation (initially an INSTRUCTION) to fire/not hire that person because their gender documentation doesn't match, thus they are a security risk. Again, Conservative economics on a micro hitting me in the purse level.

I'm conservative and Republican in case you've not noticed by now. But surely nobody would lump me in with the right wing element. Your generalizations don't acknowledge those like me. And there's more than you'd think Bionca. I assure you my main focus isn't foreign policy in the least. I've stated I want this nation to return to an isolationist stance and have little dealings with foreign nations friend and foe alike.

As for my focus on the economy. I'll be honest: I don't give a shit about it. See, I live in one of the poorest regions in America. When the national economy is booming guess what? Appalachia is still poor! The average household income is about 6,000 to 13,000 a year. It's always been this way for the mountain folk and always will. As such, I don't give a damn about the economy in the rest of the nation.

The Patriot Act? I'm simple minded about it. It's not harmed my life. I've not lost a single right since 9/11. People must adjust to the demands and dangers of the times. We did in WW2 without much complaint. I see what's bad about the act but I don't care. Because law abiding legal citizens don't suffer under it.

Trans issues? Well, I really don't know much about their issues. I'll need to research the Real ID Act. If it presents inequality for the trans community then I will not approve of it. But if it doesn't unduly burden them any more so than everything else I can't really complain. See, although I support minorities and equality I keep my eye on the greater good: the majority. So, I'm all for equality and fairness for everyone. But if at any point the good for the minority begins stripping away at the rights of the whole I oppose it. The majority rules. The majority comes first. Ideally, everyone should have a fair break. And please never doubt me on this. But I'll not compromise what is best for all just to please the few, no matter who they are. My people are a minority of sorts. We could use Uncle Sam's help. Financially mainly. But we're a minority. I would not expect the majority to be diminished at our expense.

Furthermore, this may offend people, but one thing I oppose about the idea of national healthcare is that taxpayers would be paying for everyone. This means the gender reassignment surgery as well. Please, I don't want you Bionca, or any other person, to think I oppose your rights. But to me, paying for this isn't fair to the tax payer. Nor would be the taxpayer paying for my illness if I got lung cancer because I do indeed smoke like a freight train. The problem with national healthcare is it would be easily abused. Before you know it people who wanted plastic surgery would be having taxpayers paying for it. And they'd use some kind of depression angle to justify it. I'm of the mind that national healthcare should only be for the usual things: injuries from accident, disorders, disease, medicine, etc, not elective surgeries.

Anyway, I hope I've not offended you nor made an enemy out of you for my views. I support anyone within reason. But as I said, my loyalty lies with the majority. That is, to me, what democracy is.