Thread: Self Defense
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Tread is a glorious beacon of lightTread is a glorious beacon of lightTread is a glorious beacon of lightTread is a glorious beacon of lightTread is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKaiti View Post
Wait.... did you just say what I think you said?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tread View Post
It would save much more life if more people would learn first aid than having a gun for home defense.
Are you saying that it would be better for me or a roommate to get shot, stabbed, etc and for me to know how to save her life rather than for me to own a firearm and kill the intruder before he can do anything? -_- >.> <.<
I wanted to say that a lot of people die every day by accidents, heart attack, apoplectic stroke, allergic shock and so on, because folks around don't do anything helpful. And I doubt that there are many cases where a home defence weapon saved life.

Quote:
I dunno, ask them the next time you meet one. They do it because they're stupid, poor, an asshole or who knows.
Only met once people who killed other in a drug gang fight, but didn't have something to do with them or talked much with them, but they had a clear financial motive.

Quote:
Well, I own two fire extinguishers, have a gas mask and was trained for first aid and CPR, so.... your point?
Exemplary! Didn't expect this.
I thought CPR is part of first aid, nevermind. Many learn it only once in life forget it fast and don't know what to do in a serious situation, but your training is probably not many years ago, so you're able to execute it.
By a fire, most people suffocate from smoke while sleeping, but I guess you have smoke detectors as well.

I find it unnecessary to prepare against unlikely risks, like meteors, terrorism, home invasions or bloodthirsty Thief's (unless you life at a place where this is not the exception). And the most forget that driving by car, working in the garden, doing sport or getting infected from by other human has a multiple higher risk.

If you want to prepare for everything, it's OK. In my opinion overdone, but no offense here. I myself overdo it with personal information's on the internet, being paranoid in giving info or pic's away.

I only want to understand why so many justify an extra big calibre weapon with home defence. For me it implies a little guilt for owning it. They have it cause they say they need it (and I don't see the need), and not cause they want to have it.

@SweetCharmer
Makes sense and I prefer this too, but in the US too many people have already guns, and disarming works only if you are close enough.