Thread: Baseball 2011
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011
Dark Overlord

shadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post
I know my friend shadows, who I do not believe to generally be guilty of schadenfreude, will take some pleasure in this story from yesterday's Los Angeles Times.

MLB investigates Alex Rodriguez for alleged high-stakes gambling

Alex Rodriguez is the subject of a Major League Baseball investigation for his alleged participation in high-stakes underground poker games, the league said Wednesday.

The New York Yankees third baseman is said to have played at least twice -- including in one game that involved several high-profile actors, cocaine and hundreds of thousands of dollars at the Beverly Hills mansion of a record executive -- according to reports published by multiple sources.

A story published on RadarOnline.com said that Rodriguez ?tried to distance himself from the game? when a fight almost broke out.

?We're talking to people involved in the investigation and we're taking this very seriously,? an MLB executive told ESPN New York. ?Because he had been warned about this before, I would say a possible suspension would be very much in play.?

In 2005 the Yankees and Commissioner Bud Selig warned Rodriguez about gambling in underground poker clubs, saying dealings with people who might also bet on baseball games could result in a lifetime ban from baseball.

?We take this very seriously and have been investigating this matter since the initial allegation,? the league said in a statement. ?As part of the investigation, the Commissioner's Office will interview Mr. Rodriguez.?

Rodriguez is currently recovering from knee surgery last month and had been expected to be able to rejoin the team in a couple of weeks.

I read a couple of articles about this at the TSN and ESPN sites. If it is true(and knowing what a jerkoff he is, I have no doubt it is), then he should be suspended for it. There is a difference between playing poker in Las Vegas(or in one of the sanctioned poker tournaments such as the WPT or EPT) and the underground ones of which A-Roid is accused of being in.

People are commenting that it's "not a big deal" that he was playing poker. Like I mentioned above, it's not the fact that he was playing poker, it's just the venue in which he played it. Say he had lost a lot of money, or ended up being blackmailed for playing in illicit games, he could cause the game of baseball a lot of trouble. Not to mention the fact that he was told previously by Bud Selig to NOT do it, and he did it anyhow.

I don't think he will be banned for life, but I do think he will face a lengthy suspension if he is found to have been there. It might also allow the Yankees to dump his horrible contract(conduct detrimental to the team?), which is unfortunate. I want them to be saddled with it until it's completion.

And you were quite correct, smc. I do take some pleasure in hearing that A-Roid is in trouble again.