Thread: Barack Obama
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008
Ms Tranny Manners

Bionca is a splendid one to beholdBionca is a splendid one to beholdBionca is a splendid one to beholdBionca is a splendid one to beholdBionca is a splendid one to beholdBionca is a splendid one to beholdBionca is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeMind View Post
And yet the total irony to your statement is that it WAS the Black and Hispanic communities that turned out in droves on election day and squashed Gay marriage in the California election. THEY were the ones who became the deciding factor, not W.A.S.P.y white people.

Gee, I guess Obama's "more fair and tolerant" America is gonna need some retooling already, eh?
Blacks voted 70% in favor of prop 8, Hispanics roughly 56%. Blacks account for 6-10% of the voting population in California. Could blacks and Hispanics have turned he tide in such a close election? sure. However I think a 50% voter turnout in San Fran, 65% of married people, 81% of Protestants and Evangelicals, 64% of Catholics, 68% of voters 65+ are just as worthy of blame. The hundreds of thousands of dollars from the VERY white Mormon church could have had a little to do with it.

Also, the lack of coalition building from within the G&L movement. The assumption that blacks and Hispanics would just vote the way they wanted. The quickness the "black church" ot blamed the day after election day. The freedom with which the "N" word got used in West Hollywood. That tells me that maybe there needs to be some reflection and some serious thought. It's not a myth that the national GLb...t groups are seen as male, white, wealthy, not trans* - it's because the gay white boys really like to throw their own party (with their cis-lesbian sisters as backup)