View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

johndowe is infamous around these partsjohndowe is infamous around these partsjohndowe is infamous around these partsjohndowe is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Freedom View Post
do you think CDs and DVDs are reliable.....
Cyclic Redundancy Error , i don't know why it happens but it left me quite unsure of the optical disks....so i stopped creating backups on them....i think blu ray disks will suit the purpose better....but they are quite expensive comparatively.
what do u think of the static external hard disks? are they reliable??
but here also the cost is way too much...what to do???
Hi there.

CD's and DVD's are reliable, but bad burns do happen occasionally, read my post on burning CD's & DVD's post #4 on this thread, if you use NERO, you can have it verify the disk right after the burn, if your data is important, it would be very wise to check the verify box, and follow my instructions and you should make very few bad copies, over the last few months i have made over 1000 CD & DVD's and only made 5 or 6 bad copies, i always use the same brand of disks that work well with my burner to minimize the number of bad copies.

Blu Ray is essentially the same technology as CD's and DVD's, only the write density is increased, and the light emiting diode is blue instead of infra red, so the reliability should be the same, but you will have to have a more powerfull computer to burn a disk, because the burn speed is higher, you will need at least a 2GHz dual core computer, the Blu Ray recorders are expensive also, the capacity is 25Gb single layer 50Gb dual layer, so you will have to have at least that amount of free hard disk space free to make a 1:1 copy, but less if you copy files that are on your computer, in DVD drives i like LG, they will burn almost any CD & DVD BRAND, i would ASSUME that they would put the same effort in their Blu Ray drives as they did for their DVD drives, but it is just an assumption, maby mr.Excaliborg can have more practical info about Blu Ray drives.

JohnDowe.