View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012
ThirdEyeGirl

On the note of movies that have a trans collation in them are the X-men movies.
If you watch them again, like I just did, you will see how much the mutant struggle compares to the transgender struggle.

1. The general public knows very little about mutants and are afraid of them, i.e. mutantphobia. What they do know is from media. And most that media is propaganda.
2. The mutants, if found out, are a most instantly shun by humans. So there for most live their lives in secret, and a lot grow to hate the fact they are mutant.
3. Mutants, when they are growing up, feel like they are the only one. It isn't till they get older find others who share their plight.
4. Mutants have very little support from humans. Some, if not most, have to seek out places of refuge to feel safe to live their lives.
5. Most choose to take on a chosen name for themselves.
6. There are people who think that mutants need to be cured. When they don't. Mutants are who they are naturally.

So if you watch those movies with that in mind. Than it holds a completely new meaning for you.

I didn't used to like the first three x-men movies to begin with, because they weren't really congruent with the comics, or so I've been told (I wasn't much for reading comics as a kid :P). But having watched them again. I now have new found fondness for them.

Also... I think one of the supporting characters is played by a very androgynous woman. Arclight who is played by Omahyra Mota Garcia. She's a fashion model.