View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

johndowe is infamous around these partsjohndowe is infamous around these partsjohndowe is infamous around these partsjohndowe is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolph View Post
Hi John,
I had a new wireless router installed "Linksys". The loading of Firefox and Mail seems somewhat slower that it used to be. Is there something I can adjust to speed things up?
Randolph
Hi there.

Do you mean loading the programs or downloading data from the internet?

I assume that you mean from the internet, it's the word "seems" that bothers me, but anyway, i'm sure you knlw that, there are many things that may make the internet "seem" slower or faster, like filesize, the files that are on the internet are getting bigger all the time and it can make your internet "seem" slower, that beeing said:

There are 2 wireless connection speeds 54Mb/s and 108Mb/s the first is most common and cheaper since it is older technology, but due to many factors your wireless connection may not connect at the maximum speed and thus the internet "seems" slower because it is.

To check this you right click on the wireless icon on the tray next to the clock and click status, make sure:

1- you are connected to the right network, some have slower internet than others, and may not have "password" (wep key) protected their internet and you may be using their internet, essentially getting free internet from them, which is unethical.

2- The signal strength is good; at least 2 or 3 green bars.

3- Look at the connection speed, it should be 54.0Mbps or 108Mbps if it is less you probably have interfearance of some kind, walls, people etc, or other wireless networks nearby and some wireless phones use frequencies that are close to wireless networks, and sometimes interfeer with the connection.

But the most important factor is that wired network connections work at 100Mbps without any interfearance while wireless work at 54Mbps and are more prone to interfearance.

Also linksys make good products, so the problem probably isn't in the hardware, but there are a lot of router setting that you can change but but do not make much difference in speed, but in security, and is your network "password" (wep key) protected? It should be otherwise others may use your internet and at the end of the month you may have a big surprize when you get your bill.

JohnDowe.