Thread: Barack Obama
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

CreativeMind is a jewel in the roughCreativeMind is a jewel in the roughCreativeMind is a jewel in the roughCreativeMind is a jewel in the rough
Default We'll find out about Gay marriage on Election Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionca View Post
Except that part where they won't let gals like me get married, or have some basic job protections...you know minor stuff like that
Well, just for the record, McCain and Obama are BOTH against Gay marriage.

BOTH candidates only support civil unions and BOTH support the idea that Gay marriage should not be mandated at the Federal level, but instead decided upon by each individual state to respect the wishes of the people and because the United States is actually a Republic (which most people forget).

To be honest, the biggest test of Gay marriage is barely being talked about which sort of surprises me. Then again, maybe as election day draws closer it will once again become a classic "hot button" issue to sway last minute voters.

Right now its legal in California -- but only because it was sanctioned by the California State Supreme Court, which ruled that the state constitution is currently vague regarding what is (or isn't) a legally recognized marriage. And as is often the case in life, their ruling created a Dickens-like Tale of Two Cities. Up North in Liberal San Francisco cheers erupted (and marriage licenses were given out in droves)...meanwhile down south in conservative San Diego people's blood started to boil and a movement was born to amend the constitution once and for all.

So, on election day, Californians will FINALLY get to vote on a bill whether to amend the state constitution and officially ban Gay marriage (or not).

Right now if I had to place a bet, I'd say the vote to ban gay marriage will pass, though narrowly. Interestingly enough this is not a political Republican/Democrat thing, it's actually an AGE issue. Polls show that if you're under 40, you're part of the so-called "metrosexual" generation and more open to gay marriage...meanwhile if you're 40 or older, you're more traditional and against it.

So my guess is Gay marriage will get banned in California for now, and then in about 10 or so years...as more and more of that metrosexual generation become adults and their kids come of age and can vote too...that's when Gay marriage will finally pass. But one thing's for sure: on election day the California vote will be one to watch. If Gay marriage can't pass in a heavily Liberal "blue state" like California, it certainly isn't going very far in the rest of the country...