View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009
Shecock obsessed

ila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw9725 View Post
Aside from the "Remembrance" service being a significant part of my personal growth, it also turned out to be the "icebreaker" I have been seeking regarding sharing this part of myself with friends and family. The last few weeks have been interesting.

I publicized this event as well as the organization "Stopping the Hate" on my technology blog which is read by many of our students and faculty. So there is no hiding it now. Many I've talked to had no idea what "transgender" really meant. Or what kinds of "hate crimes" have been committed against transgender individuals. Or why I had an interest in it. At this point, I believe my friends and colleagues see me as primarily a supporter of "rights."

But it has started the conversation...
I applaud you, aw, for all that you have done to raise awareness of the plight of transgender people. I like that you have b een open with your friends and family about trans issues. I also like that you have provided support for transgender people through your blog.

I think you will find, as I did, that the more that one talks about trans issues and rights the easier it becomes. I have found it very natural to talk about everything trans now. My co-workers and friends listen to me as I raise issues. I've been very surprised at how supportive people are. I will continue, at every opportunity, to talk about trans issues and to raise awareness wherever and whenever I can.

In regards to the theme of this thread I have told all of my co-workers that tomorrow is the Transgender Day of Remembrance. I have also told them that I will be having my own little service at work tomorrow afternoon and that they are welcome to join me. I do hope that I get some participation from my co-workers.