View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010
aw9725

You are right that it is hard if not impossible to verify someone?s identity over the Internet. I have never been one to participate much in ?on line? discussions or ?chat rooms? or anything else precisely for that reason.

However, after my divorce, I joined e-Harmony and for the most part had a positive experience, finally meeting someone who is now my fianc?e. While that experience had a happy ending, there were some cases of people not being who they said and even a ?stalker.?

I still participate on ?TLB,? mostly because of friends I?ve made and because of my activities in the LGBT community in ?real life.? My other ?on line? activities include a technology blog and a Twitter feed. They are related to my teaching and I don?t share them publically here. My profile information is accurate. There are a few members here who I?ve communicated with outside of ?TLB? who can verify most of it.

My experiences lead me to echo what smc said earlier. People that I come into contact with in real life tell me I?m a really nice guy. I?m used to being a natural leader and my professional reputation at my university is stellar. Sorry, modesty was never my strong suit! I guess it?s someone else?s loss if they are too scared to take a chance. Unfortunately, as smc has correctly pointed out, the ?haters? have contributed to these fears. And the threat of violence against transwomen is very real. A sad situation indeed!