Thread: Barack Obama
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008
Ms Tranny Manners

Bionca is a splendid one to beholdBionca is a splendid one to beholdBionca is a splendid one to beholdBionca is a splendid one to beholdBionca is a splendid one to beholdBionca is a splendid one to beholdBionca is a splendid one to behold

Ogryn - While I respect what you have said, and I'm glad for you keeping a civil tone in all your posts. I must point out that maintaining the rights and privileges of the majority, and placing the needs of a majority in favor of and at the expense of a minority results in "Tyrrany of the Majority".

While you personally may be against treating different groups poorly, many who share your views do not. Or even worse, fail to see how not supporting issues like Gay marriage are harmful to actual people by making it difficult to access protections and services provided for hetro-married couples. Saying "what they do on their time doesn't bother me, but marriage is sacred".

Issues like restricting access to bathrooms by transwomen in Colorado and recently Maryland. Having an expensive and "cosmetic" surgery needed to change documentation for one's sex assignment. Not having sexual orientation or gender identity/expession protected on a national level. All of these directly impact the real lives of actual people, not nameless "minority groups". The majoity, by virtue of being the majotity gets all the cookies/perks/rights/privliges. When it comes down to an issue of someone's comfort level or emotional squick over an issue and someone losing their house because their 20 year lesbian partner died without a will, or a 20 y/o transwoman who needs to turn tricks to eat and get hormones because she can't get hired at Burger King...

I seriously think that social change in favor of improving the quality of life for people should always trump someone's inability or reluctance to "handle the issues". Even if that reluctance is shared by the overwhelming majority of people.

The comeback will likely be something along the lines of backlashes, and violence targeted against the minority. Well, as a person who has lived as a minority in a variety of forms; I can tell you that violence is happening now.