Thread: Arab Spring
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012
Senior Ladyboy Lover

smc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to smc

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolph View Post
Ila suggested that I set up a thread to discuss the Arab spring and the Middle east political situation.

What mystifies me is how the Palestinians (Gazinians) believe they won the latest round with Israel. Perhaps the political gurus on the forum would have some ideas on this.
I would be happy to have a full, detailed discussion of the Palestine question here; I have views that are quite far afield from those of the overwhelming majority of other Jews. But for now I will simply respond to your specific question.

Perhaps this idea of winning the latest round is meant only in the context of the United Nations General Assembly's symbolic vote on November 29 to upgrade the Palestinian Authority's status in the UN. From the PA's perspective, the elevation from "non-member observer entity" to "non-member observer state" is seen as providing new leverage in dealings with Israel, and represents (in the words of Mahmoud Abbas, the PA president) a "last chance to save the two-state solution."

That vote was taken, and the outcome was certainly influenced by, the relentless and disproportionate shelling of Gaza by Israel compared to the shelling of Israeli neighborhoods by Hamas from Gaza.