View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010
Shecock obsessed

ila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolph View Post
Gay Group Demands Letterman Apologize for Mocking Transgender Appointee Amanda Simpson
Human Rights Coalition Calls David Letterman Joke 'Inappropriate and Incendiary'
By RUSSELL GOLDMAN

Jan. 6, 2009 ?

The country's largest gay-rights group today demanded an apology from David Letterman, for making what it called "inappropriate and incendiary remarks" regarding President Obama's appointment of a transgender woman to the Commerce Department.

In his monologue Tuesday, Letterman remarked that Amanda Simpson, a transgender woman, had been appointed to work in the Commerce Department's Bureau of Industry and Security, where she will monitor the export of military technology.

As a photograph of Simpson was shown, announcer Alan Kalter shouted, "What? Amanda? Amanda used to be a dude?"

"Oh my God!" he shouted, before running off stage, with audience laughing.

In a letter to Letterman and CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler, Human Rights Campaign called the bit "inappropriate and incendiary" and said it reflected "transphobia," a fear or hatred of transgender people.

"Your skit affirmed and encouraged a prejudice against transgender Americans that keeps many from finding jobs, housing, and enjoying freedoms you and your writers take for granted every day," HRC's Allyson Robinson wrote in the letter.

Robinson said the punch line of the bit has "been used as a defense in nearly every hate crime perpetrated against transgender people that has come to trial." She cited two cases in which individuals suspected of murdering transgender people claimed they did so in a rage after learning about their victims' gender identity.

Letterman spokesman Tom Keaney told ABCNews.com he would not comment.
Thankyou, randolph. I don't watch Letterman and so I did not see this nor was I aware of what had been done on Letterman.

I'm glad a group took him and ABC to task for a crude, rude, uniformed, and insensitive act.

I think it was very cowardly of Letterman and ABC to not comment on this.