Thread: Self Defense
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

Tread is a glorious beacon of lightTread is a glorious beacon of lightTread is a glorious beacon of lightTread is a glorious beacon of lightTread is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryPostman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tread View Post
They are easier to use and have a better stopping power with one hit. If you have to shoot more than once the handgun is better. The spread of shot against the accurately of the handgun is not a big advantage at a room close rage. The penetration is lesser (limbs, walls).
If that were true, more troops would use a pistol for clearing rooms instead of a shotgun. In CQB, the shotgun is king. Pistols are generally used in areas where it is not practical to to have a larger weapon (i.e. concealed carry purposes, inside a vehicle etc) or is used as a way to fight your way to a more powerful weapon.
I don't think the shotgun is king in CQB. It depends on the situation. I think submachine guns are more flexible and more often used by special units in CQB. But that has not much to do with home defence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryPostman View Post
Quote:
They usually have less shells/bullets and a lower rate of fire (pump-action) than semi-automatic handguns.
True, but you forget that 1 shell of 000 buckshot contains 10 pellets roughly 9mm in diameter. That means 1 shell of 12 gauge 000 buck has the same capacity as 1 magazine of 9mm Parabellum. You will have more hits on target vs. rounds fired with a shotgun than a pistol.

Quote:
They are easier to use and have a better stopping power with one hit. If you have to shoot more than once the handgun is better. The spread of shot against the accurately of the handgun is not a big advantage at a room close rage. The penetration is lesser (limbs, walls).
... ...
Handguns take considerable amount training to hit something accurately compared to a shotgun or rifle. Pistols have less stopping power unless you are comparing the ammo to birdshot which does not penetrate deep and has a large spread. The spread of the shot can be changed by the amount of choke the shotgun has; the tighter the choke, the tighter your spread will be. At longer distances even with the spread, more pellets of buck will hit a target vs. pistol rounds. If I remember correctly (which I don't) the spread after 20 ft. begins to open up 1 inch every 6ft-10ft depending on the load and choke.

If you are firing slugs from a shotgun, they will reach out and touch someone accurately at 100+ meters(Accuracy tapers off at around 125-150 meters.) which is alot greater than the pistols 25-50 meter range.

Quote:
So what is the reason not to use the gun you already have and use for self defence? If you let a shotgun out of the safe, you could also let your handgun at that place.
Again, it all depends on operator preference. Someone may not like the size of a shotgun and choose a pistol, another person may not hit accurately with a pistol but can hit better with a shotgun or a carbine. It all depends on what you are comfortable with. If you are comfortable with a pistol, get a pistol. If you are comfortable with a shotgun, get a shotgun and so on and so forth.
If you miss one time, 10 pellets miss, or 10 pellets can't focus on more than one target. There is still a capacity advantage. 1 buckshot has not the same energy than a magazine 9mm.
It can't be much more difficult to hit a human sized target with a pistol than a shotgun at max. Room distances.
In a defence situation you don't know how much attack, for a quick reaction at a close combat I see more advantages for a pistol than a shotgun, plus it can be carried for self defence if it is allowed (I still think a gun is not a good solution).

My question still is why some have a gun, and buy a shotgun or rifle extra for home defence (not collecting or sport).

Last edited by Tread; 11-09-2009 at 08:31 PM.