Thread: Who gets high?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

GRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to behold

Cannabis is one of the most universally used drugs, probably behind only alcohol and caffeine. For our disccussion, I will include all cannabis derivatives in this discussion to include raw cannabis, hash (screened trichomes that are pressed together), hash oil (the oil exuded from pressed hash), tinctures, etc. As to synthetic THC (brand name Marinol), I have no personal experience, but know from talking to others that it it not as effective for a variety of reasons.

Cannabis achieves its psychoactivity via a number of cannibinoids, with THC (tetra-hydrocannibinol) being the most notorious. That said, THC is not the sole chemical responsible for the psychoactivity (This is one reason Marinol is less effective therapeutically). The different ratios of cannibinoids and other chemicals affect the overall psychoactivity...

Two distinct strains of cannabis are generally recognized...Sometimes a third, though I won't go into that. There is Cannabis sativa and Cannabis indica. The sativa strain is considered to be a more "light" smoke, a more visual, hallucinatory variety. The indica is more heavily "narcotic," a more sedating smoke, one that makes the body heavy and tired. Both species can be very powerful, though many smokers have a preference towards one type of high over the other. Personally, I find that both states of consciousness have their own time and place.

Alright, to the larger question, what does cannabis feel like? This depends largely on the strain, potency, and amount ingested. Small amounts (or large amounts among a tolerant user or with low grade weed) will produce relaxation and lowered inhibitions. This is a state very conducive to meditation. Increased potency and ingestion can lead to increased intoxification. This can include a very disinhibited sensibility and a much lighter take on life (everything becomes funny!). Increased hunger is often a side effect (the munchies), this is one reason marijuana is favored among cancer patients. There is a degree of analgesia that accompanies marijuana use. As you get to higher doses, reality becomes completely sublime. Conversation flows like water, and EVERYTHING takes on an increased sense of profundity. Sometimes you will forget what you were trying to say, but it doesn't matter. Life if lived in the moment. You open up like a flower blossoming in sunlight, inhibitions melt to a great degree, and you are peaceful and content. At worst, you consume too many calories and fall asleep. You don't knick or crave the high to the point of going out and robbing convenience stores. At the best levels, hallucinations can ensue, but these are generally closed-eye visuals and subtle distortions of sound. The hallucinations are nothing on par with psychadelics, but you get VERY creative. The desire to write or create is very strong.

That said, sometimes the desire to create is overpowered by the lethargy that can accompany marijuana use. Oftentimes, the perception of creativity and profundity is lost upon being sober. As an experienced user, I can take away from the intoxication more than others...For that matter, it has altered my perception to the point where I am a much less rage-driven individual. I am much more mellow nowadays. But cannabis does not come without its downside. First and foremost is the cost and legality. Factor that out, and you still often end up with cottonmouth. And paranoia. Paranoia is a possibility for anyone, though some seem more prone to it than others...I find that I myself am a more paranoid person than many...This has caused me anxiety over the years, but it has also saved my ass several times.