View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

TracyCoxx is infamous around these partsTracyCoxx is infamous around these partsTracyCoxx is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRH View Post
So Tracy, a personal question for you. Do you think the way the religious right has hijacked the Republican party is ultimately a good thing or a liability? It is a reliable voting block...But I wondered what you thought of some of the policy positions of said voting block.
I think it's a liability and it runs counter to what conservatives, who should want limited government, should want. Limited government should not dictate morality. But if I want a president who's fiscally conservative, it's pretty much impossible to find one that doesn't want to also teach intelligent design in classrooms and that cavemen walked alongside dinosaurs, and they'll also think the earth's environment is indestructible because it's friken made by god. They'll want prayer in schools and seek guidance from the great sky fairy. I know a lot of people who vote democrat, but are just as fiscally conservative as I am because of all the other baggage the religious right brings.

Quote:
For me, "traditional family values" rubs me wrong. But then I'm one of those liberals who supports a woman's right to control their body.
Saying that a woman can control her body ignores the fact that there's another human in there. I don't think a few day old fetus is conscious, and there's probably nothing lost at that point if it was aborted. On the other hand, 7-9 month old fetuses are conscious and viable. It's a gray area, and at some point it becomes murder.

Quote:
I also support gay marriage and several other things that are untenable to this voting block.
Yes, republicans are opposed to gay marriage, but they also bring up a point. It's a state's rights issue, not a government issue. I would even go further... marriage shouldn't be between you and the government at all. It should be between you and your church.

Quote:
The block of Republicans that voted to end DADT is actually a group of Republicans that I might consider voting for under certain circumstances.
I thought DADT was a good compromise between allowing gays in the military, and taking into consideration the reality that an openly gay person in the military, right or wrong, is going to be a distraction and at worse will put gay servicemen/women's lives in danger.

Quote:
But among the Tea Party these individuals are considered RINO's. I think it's a shame that moderate Republicans have been so marginalized.
I thought the Tea Party was going to be a new beginning for the republicans. I thought they would bring back the central idea that we want a small fiscally responsible government. Period. But every Tea Party candidate, yes is pro small fiscally responsible government, but also the religious right on steroids.