Thread: Who gets high?
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008
Senior Ladyboy Lover

GRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to behold

Sesame, I have been charmed by Absinthe before...A very nice liquor in my estimation, particularly if served right (but alas, there is some debate about what actually constitutes the traditional means of serving). It is heavily flavored of anise...The wormwood's bitterness is overthrown by the other herbs in the brew (star anise, fennel, etc.), thus the final brew is somewhat sweet, albeit HIGHLY alcoholic. The "magic" of absinthe is hypothesized to originate from the wormwood, more specifically, from the thujone that it contains. (Thujone exists in alpha and beta forms and is regulated by the FDA so as to not exist in food/drink products.) Thujone in high doses is a neurotoxin and can lead to the perception of a yellowish haze around things...Some attribute VanGogh's color sensibility to being influenced by absinthe. That said, absinthe got a really bad reputation at a time when little if anything was understood of alcoholism. Most of the reported symptoms of "absinthism" are in fact synonymous with alcoholism-- absinthe became the scapegoat for a culture struggling to understand the nature of alcohol addiction. The fact that it was one of the highest proof beverages of the day (and often imitated via unsavory and unsafe methods) absinthe is what ended up being banned. Such is the role of governments I suppose...It's really a pity, it is a good beverage...

That said, I'm glad you had a favorable run-in with malaria. MANY things can trigger altered perceptions of the universe...Stress, disease, drugs, meditation, holy books, dance, drumming, etc. My own opinion regarding altered states is that the consciousness experienced under the influence is every bit as valid as normal, waking consciousness. For that matter, like you, I view dream states as valid states of consciousness. I think waking consciousness is only one, very limited means of perceiving things. Too many people buy into the idea that this waking life is the only thing to our existence...

I myself think that we are so much more than this. That said, I'm glad to know that you have explored meditation. This is a route that I need to explore more, it would probably be less harmful to my body than all the chemicals. I must say though, I'm lazy, and psychoactives are the arm-chair quarterback's means of enlightenment. What is your major influence...Buddhist meditation? I myself have had my own spirituality heavily influenced by Hinduism...

That said, regarding our conversation about drugs, do you have any preference? Otherwise I might just pick an arbitrary place to start and will slowly pick away at describing the different categories, highs, comedowns, etc.