View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012
dan

Ila, we all want to be politically correct. We all want a society which gives men and women equal rights and equal chances. We all want institutions to treat both men and women alike. But there are definite, strong, very obvious physical differences between human sexes. First, sexual dimorphism is greater in humans than in just about any species of mammals. It doesn’t take much observation to realize it. Not very easy to distinguish between a female and a male cat or dog, for instance. There’s a bit more difference between apes, but far from the differences in humans. This is an evident testimony to one of the means of our survival as a specie: we collaborated by insisting on our sexual differences and aptitudes to adapt. Now, most of any good book on evolution (as long as they haven’t suffered too much influence of some trend in popular culture) will state those facts. And so will most good books on biology. After I read your answer, I googled it to get some infos to present here. Immediately, many came up. I invite you to consult simply Wikipedia on this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_differences_in_humans

Let me quote to you what is said for the gender differences in skin:
Skin
Male skin is thicker (more collagen) and oilier (more sebum) than female skin.[19] They also have redder skin.
The skin of females is warmer on average than that of males. Females tend to have more pain receptors per cm of skin than males.”

The biological creatures that we are also tend (I say “tend”, ila) to view beauty in terms not only of the acknowledgement and accentuation of such differences, but also in terms of capacity to procreate and transmit good genes. Therefore such differences in women’s skin will appear as being more beautiful then that of men (in all respect for divergent sexual desires and orientations, of course), not unlike for instance, the often more pronounced lower back curve in women (a characteristic which allow more room for the uterus and better position for carrying on the one hand, and the fact that it is a sexual position which favors sexual intercourse and is created by neurotransmitters traveling directly in the spine during phases of sexual stimulation, on the other hand) will be perceived often as an element of feminine beauty, amongst many other such physical differences.

Ila, you’re a nice person with good, solid convictions, and a great sense of doing the right thing. And I respect you a lot. I don’t want to be contradictory here. But you have to acknowledge biology. And I mean of course, real biology (beware of what you find out there…).

Last edited by dan; 08-03-2012 at 02:34 PM.