View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011
Senior Ladyboy Lover

smc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to smc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
That's what I was trying to get at: the argument is only really useful and really interesting if it is used to ponder reality. But from the previous posts everyone seemed to be talking about what the definition of sound is.
I believe you are projecting, at least onto my post, a level of certainty that I don't have. Sound, I believe, is the actuation of the mechanical pressure wave in the vessel of a hearing organ (be it a human, other animal, or plant). But of this I am not certain; it is a scientific definition that hypothesizes. I think the reason that the question of a tree falling in a forest and whether it makes a sound has become a "classic" is precisely because it poses the issue of reality vs. perception, and in a sense synthesizes the general discussion about whether one who has not "seen everything" can make reasonable assumptions to describe reality, including the reality of that which she or he hasn't seen.

I've never been to China. I believe it exists. The evidence is pretty overwhelming. In fact, I am certain. From a philosophical perspective, how one gets there (to the certainty, not to China, which I am pretty sure is by plane these days ), is fascinating.