View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009
Senior Ladyboy Lover

smc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond reputesmc has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to smc
Default an observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
Yeah, but that brand of feminism is dying, and for the most part queer and feminist women are supportive of TS, much more so than the straight world.
In my work with a local antiwar group here in the Boston area, I meet a lot of young "queer" and "feminist" women in their 20s. They are almost without exception tremendously supportive of the trans people in the group, and even argue vociferously to ensure that at any public event someone from the trans people get to be a speaker. They then make sure that their trans "status" is openly stated in the introduction, as a means of telling all those gathered that this is "okay"!

Gauging the reaction of the older self-described feminist women, many of whom I have known for a long time, I would say that there is a gamut from complete support to discomfort. I have yet to confront any of them about this, but I will do so. The older Vets for Peace guys seem a bit uncomfortable, too, but they don't seem challenged in the way that the older women do.

So far, I am happy to report that no one has gone so far as to try and stifle the participation of our many trans activists. The younger people seem to set the tone and win the day -- for which I am very happy!

None of this is to diminish what Bionca is reporting, but rather to provide a picture of one small part of the world where things are going a bit better.