Thread: Self Defense
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009
aw9725

Default Answer to your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tread View Post
I know that reality is dangerous, and I know guns have some advantages, and I didn’t want to question carrying or owning
So my first question was: What do you expect happens at your home?
Maybe I don’t know your criminals, but it seems like a rare exception that armed criminals want to hurt you at home.

You seem to collect weapons (I can understand), but why you declare one as home defence gun, and why not your handgun you use already as self defence gun.
Unfortunately depending on where you live it can be very bad. I am relatively well off and live in an affluent neighborhood. Even so, burglaries and robberies are fairly common. One of the contributing factors is the drug problem. Many of these robbers are armed and could well shoot you during the robbery. There have been many cases in the United States of people who were shot or beaten or tied up by burglars invading their home. Most the cases play out the same: the couple surrenders only to be tied up and killed. We recently had a notorious unsolved serial murder case (the "BTK" killer) come to a conclusion a few years ago. I remember this case as a child. I am always amazed at how easily the killers manage to subdue their victims. Almost never were the victims armed.

A little about me. I'm a University Professor and very well educated. I am also a fairly large man and very strong--I posted a picture of me working out elsewhere on this forum. I have always played sports and excelled at football ("American Style"). I was born in Detroit, Michigan, one of the most dangerous cities in the US and started taking Karate lessons at age 6. I have a third-degree black belt. My parents were nearly killed by armed robbers when I was very young. My grandmother's house was broken into several times. Our home in Detroit was vandalized repeatedly. And my aunt and uncle were beaten and hospitalized by muggers. One of my Dad's best friends was stabbed in a Men's room during a robbery attempt. When I was 5 I was beaten up by a gang of older kids.

In my own home, I have a 12 ga shotgun nearby in case someone were to break in and try do me or my family harm. My handgun is kept locked in a safe so it would take some time to work the combination. Have I ever had to use it? No. Fortunately. There were a couple of times when I was married when my wife and I were awakened by the dog barking and I went to investigate. I took my handgun and a flashlight with me. There had been several drug related burglaries in our neighborhood and we were afraid we might be next on the list.

One simply does not know what they might be facing when things go bad. Is it one intruder or attacker? Or several? Are they bigger than me? Stronger? Are they on drugs? Are they armed? I would like to be prepared for whatever... I think a shotgun is a very effective weapon under home defense conditions--especially at close range. Could I disarm someone myself? Probably. But only at close range. I have had training in this. Could someone "overpower" me? Not likely but you never know how big or strong or high on drugs they are. Would I surrender like others have and take my chances? Most definitely NO!

Honestly, I don't go around thinking about this topic that much. I have many other things in my life and I don't live in fear. If you met me you would find that I was very laid-back and easy going. My students love me. I have a very successful career in education and am well respected. I started this thread and wrote the original post because I was outraged at the beating of one of our members. I wanted to encourage those who never had even thought about "self-defense" to consider their options. "Hate crimes" in particular piss me off--I really have zero tolerance for bullies. When I was in college I had a gay friend that had been harassed by some of the other guys in the dorm. I paid them a visit one night--my friend never had trouble again...

As for the real danger from crime... There are many statistics available. Much depends on where you live and where you go. Clearly there is a very real possibility of becoming a "statistic." Others here have shared with you their stories. Nothing in life is completely safe. Statistically, I probably am in a lot more danger riding my motorcycle than I am going downtown. Consider something like this: in the mid-west United States we have a high risk of dangerous storms and tornadoes. The Weather Service issues warnings, there are sirens and shelters, and most people who live here know what to do. But you don’t live in fear of them--you are aware and prepared. Regarding crime--I would much rather be prepared than to be a victim.

Last edited by aw9725; 10-21-2009 at 10:39 PM.