Thread: Investments
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010
Senior Ladyboy Lover

GRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to beholdGRH is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryPostman View Post
Gold for me.

If a complete collapse of the economy or a really bad depression ever happens, metals will be the most useful things to barter. Gold, silver, hell even copper or brass would be in high demand. Federal Reserve Notes and other things of the sort are play money; a chunk of gold carries far more weight(no pun intended).

Just lookin out for the longterm you know?
You see, I used to be a big proponent of this type of thinking. However, the more I thought about it, I realized something. The collapse of America (or any nation-state that is truly significant in the global scheme of things) would probably be preceeded by their central banks DUMPING every bit of gold onto the open market to try to prevent collapse. This would be a last ditch effort to keep fiat currency afloat. But it would flood the metals market and would therefore distort the supply/demand curve and would ultimately depress the price of metals. Therefore, metals utility in a complete collapse, while far from useless, would probably lack the utility that many people think they'd have.