Thread: sing a long
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018
Senior Ladyboy Lover

a9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud ofa9127 has much to be proud of
Default Starz - Cherry Baby and Subway Terror

Starz was a late 70’s hard rock band with an interesting history. I discovered them maybe 10 or 12 years later through an older friend with an extensive music collection. Their sound was way ahead of its time and “Violation” is one of my favorite albums. I “re-discovered” them while doing research for my story that was set in 1978. Truly I am surprised they were not more popular. The late 70’s and early 80’s ushered in the Disco and “New Wave” eras so maybe they just got lost in the mix. That’s too bad.

The song “Cherry Baby” was arguably their biggest hit and the song that most people recognize. My first girlfriend Stephanie loved the song and we used to play it in the car when we were dating (over 20 years after it was released). Hearing it again brings back some good memories.

“Subway Terror” is of course my favorite song from the album and has surprisingly violent lyrics especially considering the band’s origins. Remember this was back in 1977. Unlike most of the stuff I grew up with in the 90’s and 2000’s, there is no profanity or use of the “F” word. Yet “Subway Terror” hits very hard and describes a scenario as brutal as anything I’ve heard. They also make reference to “ludes.” At the time I didn’t know what those were. Of course I was always careful not to play it when my parents were around…

The members of Starz are all extremely talented musicians but after listening to the album recently their Bass player Peter Sweval (1948-1990) clearly stands out from the others and his playing drives the songs. I’m sure many of the bands I listened to years later were heavily influenced by these guys.

So where did they come from? If you don’t know already you will never believe it. Most of them were members of “Looking Glass” who are best known for “Brandy, You’re a Fine Girl” which was a #1 hit in 1972. Somewhere along the way they added a new singer, drummer and I believe guitar player. As far as I know Pete was one of the original members and played on “Brandy.” Pretty awesome.

Last edited by a9127; 03-16-2018 at 06:48 PM.