Thread: Self Defense
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011
aw9725

The issue of gun ownership and the ?right to carry? is very politically charged. Like so many complex issues there are valid arguments on all sides and an individual?s feelings may be influenced by many factors such as what country they live in, their culture, and their own past experiences. I happen to believe that if one is properly trained and carries a gun legally and responsibly it can go a long way towards making them safer. I also think that working out, learning a martial art, taking a self-defense class, or simply ?being aware? of your surroundings can also be quite effective and are often the best alternatives no matter where you live. Simply by feeling good about yourself and walking confidently you can avoid being a victim.

My purpose in starting this thread was to promote the idea of ?self-defense? and perhaps share things that have worked with each other. Not necessarily to promote guns or discuss whether it is ones ?right? to carry a gun. I shouldn?t have to explain to the members of this forum how real the threat of violence and hate crimes toward members of our community is?all over the world. There are many ways to deal with the possibility of violence?from avoidance to direct armed confrontation. I live in the United States where it is legal (in most places) to carry a gun. I have training in martial arts and I guess some people would say am ?obsessed? with strength and fitness.

Also, the situations I am considering are those that are most likely to occur in everyday life. Such as being followed out of a bar by a gang of troublemakers, a confrontation in a parking garage or mall, or perhaps someone breaking into my home with the intent of harming me or my family (a member of TLB who doesn?t like my posts maybe? ). I have a M2F friend who is deathly afraid of having her car breakdown on I-65 downtown and being confronted by a gang--and she is even more afraid of guns--she and people like her were who I had in mind when I started this thread. The recent tragedy in Norway is something else entirely and my heart goes out to the victims and their families. Ila once suggested that I should teach a self-defense class for transwomen. I would be happy to share what I know with others on here or, if you live near Indianapolis and want to learn how to shoot or just ?kick someone?s ass? should you ever have to PM me.