View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010
Apprentice Ladyboy Lover

alphanumeric is on a distinguished road
Default Doctor Who: The Eleventh Hour

I've stayed away from as many spoilers as possible for this episode, as I totally wanted to come into it fresh. I was worried, I mean RTD, managed to bring back the Doctor and update him yet keep him pretty much that same, Could Moffat pull it off? or would this new beginning also be the beginning of the end? I waited eagerly for Easter Sunday to arrive so that I could watch it.

Only to discover it was broadcast on Saturday.

Doh!

So I finally manage to watch the episode and what did I think?

Absolutely note perfect.

I think the new Theme song is going to take some getting used to, but I didn't outright hate it. And the new intro is is at the same time different enough and yet still the same.

And I will admit to being a little disappointed with the new console room, I was hoping that they would have been just a little bit more outrageous with it. But basically, except for being a bit larger, it's still basically the same.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, The thing that struck me most about this episode is how right they got the sense of whimsy, which to me is critical to new nuwho (although going by doctors that would be new, new, new new, new...nevermind)

RTD's Doctors were always a melancholy sort. Always looking away with a tear in their eye. But this doctor is bright and fresh and surprisingly happy.

Matt Smith IS the Doctor. he just radiated that sense of authority and trust that would make a complete stranger do whatever weird or dangerous thing he asked of you because you trusted him.

And Karen Gillian as a distrustful but strong young lady makes perfect sense as a companion.

Plus I like that fact that right off the bat, Moffat completely embraces the shows past. I can understand RTD's reluctance to lean on what came before when trying to bring back the series, but I think most people are ready now to check out the back catalog. (if they haven't already done so.)

I also like the fact that Moffat will be carrying on with the season arc.

And finally, no (so far,) hanky panky.

All in all, I can't wait for the next episode.

Last edited by alphanumeric; 04-04-2010 at 04:47 PM. Reason: wanted to add pic.