Thread: Hockey
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009
Dark Overlord

shadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud ofshadows has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ila View Post
I'm an outwester. It's amazing how many westerners are Montreal fans.

I'm still laughing over that comment. A lot of people I know were saying the same thing.

According to some reports that I read it was less than a year ago the other owners thought that Balsillie would be a good team owner. He's always been upfront about his intentions to move a team to Hamilton. I really think that the NHL has to change their thinking. They should be moving back to where their fan base is, not trying to expand into the sunbelt where hockey is a foreign sport.
What Province do you live in, Ila(if you don't mind me asking)? I live in SW Ontario myself. I do have some friends from another forum that live out West(Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia) so I know a little about the West.

It also looks like the apple hasn't fallen too far from the (rotten) Roy tree. His son was charged with assault when he went after the opposing team's goalie(and from the sounds of it the Coach(Roy himself) urged it on). Classy! I'm not sure if the case has been resolved or if it is still in the courts.

I agree with you 100% about the mentality of the NHL. Bettman does not want to come across as a failure so he will do everything in his power to try and make the sunbelt teams work. Some teams just will not work no matter how hard you try to make it so. It is amazing how many "fans" were interviewed that knew nothing about the game, they were just going to a game because the tickets were free. I am not saying that all the people there are like that, as they do have hardcore fans like we do. They just don't have the history to fall back on that a lot of other teams do(not just the Original Six) as they are still relatively new. It also doesn't help that besides the Tampa Bay Lightning(how had a pretty powerful team that year) they haven't had a lot of playoff success either.

And to Jen: The Phillies lost 3-1. Dang.