View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009
Shecock obsessed

ila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond reputeila has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFrum View Post
Transvestite was actually a technical term, invented by some researcher studying males who dressed up as females.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFrum View Post
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Magnus Hirschfeld coined the term transvestism (from Latin trans-, "across, over" and vestitus, "dressed") to refer to the sexual interest in cross-dressing.[2] He used it to describe persons who habitually and voluntarily wore clothes of the opposite sex. Hirschfeld's group of transvestites consisted of both males and females, with (physically) heterosexual, (physically) homosexual, bisexual, and asexual orientations.[3]

I didn't read the Wikipedia article before I wrote my post - it's just common knowledge stuff in the field.
The two examples below will show that the word transvestite has been around long before you claim it was.

Quote:
The Compact Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary, Volume II Oxford University Press 1987
Transvest, v, [L. Trans + L. Vestire to clothe] To clothe in other garment, e.g. those of the opposite sex
1652 J.Wright tr. Canus’ Nat Paradox 1L. 42 How often did shee please her fancy with the imagination of transvesting herself, and by the help of a Man’s disguise deceiving the eyes, of those that watched her deportments
Quote:
The Compact Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary, Volume III, Oxford University Press 1987
Transvestite, [L. Trans + L. Vestire to clothe] A person with an abnormal desire to wear the clothes of the opposite sex
1922 J. van Teslaar tr. Stekel’s Bisexual Love ii. 69 Among the transvestites (personifiers) we find the most pronounced examples of marked homosexuality and stressed bi-sexuality